The Trump Administration

Politics and religion.

Moderator: JasonNC

Snarky!
PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 4:37 pm
Darth Board wrote:You do realize the House just voted to permanently de-fund abortion in the US, right? That just happened. No executive order required. They could do the same for overseas abortions.

And you do realize that President Hillary would have shot that down, right? If nothing else, you might consider being a little glad that we've at least got the opportunity to see Congress do work toward goals you support.

We did, in fact, have two viable choices for President. One of them, the one who got elected, promised to work toward advancing causes I support, and seems to be doing so. Do I think he's a wonderful guy? No. Would I prefer that he handle things differently? Sure.

Given that we didn't have an option to elect Jesus Christ to the office, we were going to get a flawed person. In the final election, I did not have the option for my preferred flawed person, but I'm willing to be happy seeing causes I support advanced. And obviously government/laws can't really change anything significant; that's our job, as people on the ground. We should be reaching out to people and trying to draw them to the Truth, because that's the only way to help souls.

But, on the national level, I'm happy that President Trump seems to be doing work that advances causes I support. Because I know that the only other likely option would have been working just as hard to advance causes I do not support.

And I admit that, after 8 years of progressives driving full speed toward the left, I don't really mind, at least for a little while (I mean, he's been in office five whole days), seeing their tactics used against them. Yeah; it'd be great for Trump to become Super Constitutionalist, but the next D in the office will jump right on the Exec Order train regardless. That genie has been out of the bottle for a while, as you noted.
Woah! Double lightsaber! Double lightsaber all the way!
PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 12:32 pm
Heli wrote:
Darth Board wrote:You do realize the House just voted to permanently de-fund abortion in the US, right? That just happened. No executive order required. They could do the same for overseas abortions.

And you do realize that President Hillary would have shot that down, right? If nothing else, you might consider being a little glad that we've at least got the opportunity to see Congress do work toward goals you support.

I am thankful for that, yes. But that good result doesn't mean I think Trump is a good option for president. That's pragmatism, and that is not an ethic I can fully support.

And if it were just that Trump was not "a wonderful guy," it wouldn't be such a problem. But he's way beyond not "wonderful!" He's every bit as morally unfit as Bill Clinton was (only with less shame or subtlety) back when Christians argued that the character of the man in the White House was more important than the economy (with James Carville responding back from the Clinton war room, "It's the economy, stupid!"). Good results came of Clinton's presidency too (heck, in a lot of ways, an argument could be made that America was way better off during his presidency than during that of either of the Bushes--not that I think that was down to his own policies, mind you, but still). None of that changes the fact that he was a bad president. And the different letter behind Trump's name doesn't automatically make him better fit for the role, even if he does support some good policies.

It's way too early for a couple of good policies to make up for years of reprehensible behavior. If he does well in the role of president over the next four years, I might even vote for his reelection, but he's going to have to show he's a different man than we've seen over the course of the campaign. Don't act like I'm being picky for not wanting to praise a man like him!

Snarky!
PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 1:04 pm
I guess that's the disconnect we're having. I don't think I'm praising Donald Trump; I'm just glad to see things moving in a way I support. I've given up on seeing someone I admire in the role of President, to be honest. At this point, I've become worn down enough in the field of politics to believe that the only victories I'll ever see are going to be via pragmatism. Heck, before the election, I made it clear that I was voting for him because there was at least a chance he'd govern in a good way. Presidential elections have been nothing but pragmatism for me as long as I've been old enough to vote.

Trump's Supreme Court nominee list is apparently very good. Since, at this point, we're basically governed by the Supreme Court, I think that's a victory. 10 years from now, when Trump is out of office, maybe two or three solid conservatives might be on the bench. That feels like a win, since the left will otherwise use a majority on the Supreme Court to strike down laws they don't like, regardless of the will of the people, as they've already been happy to do.

I dunno. I guess it's just annoying to me that we all gave Barack Obama a chance, even knowing up front that his opinions were disagreeable, and we tried to support him in the beginning. Donald Trump gets no such goodwill around here, and it bugs me a little. I'm praying for Trump in the same way I prayed for Obama, and trying to give him a shot. And when he advances a cause I support, I'm happy to hear about it. What can I say?
PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 11:38 am
Aaaaaaaaaaaand Trump signs executive orders on immigration, demonstrating why executive orders are terrible.

That didn't take long. Families from overseas visiting their American family members have literally been turned back at airports into the U.S. Foreign students in the States visiting families overseas are now blocked from returning. Clearly, Trump and his strategists either did not think about the actual human cost of making such a sweeping move so quickly or they just didn't care. I get the call for increased security and the need for vetting refugees but this is obviously taking things way too far! And this kind of thing happening so early in his presidency is, frankly, scary stuff. This unpredictability and being prone to such huge overreactions is why I couldn't vote for him, even against someone like Hillary Clinton.

And this wall scheme is ridiculous. I had hoped he would back down on it, but instead he's doubling down on it. Our biggest illegal immigration problem is people in the country legally overstaying their visas, and if we make even legal border crossing so incredibly difficult, those who are already here are going to be far less likely to risk going back. Meanwhile we turn the land of opportunity into some kind of fortress and we the people end up picking up the tab (because the whole "Mexico will pay for it" thing just isn't going to happen; even if they do chip in, they'll likely find a way to get us to compensate them).

We're only ten days in.
PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 12:54 pm
Dr. Russell Moore, head of the Ethics and Religious Liberties Commission of the Southern Baptist Convention, has written a letter to the president regarding this latest executive order. The concerns Moore raises are those all believers should take to heart:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/act ... a9568438f9
Chief Commander of the Skrull Horde
PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 12:42 am
whitehouse.gov changed the wording of the Bill of Rights.

1. They claim the "God-given, inalienable human rights" apply to citizens only.
2. They deliberately stated that the 2nd Amendment "gives" rights... not protects God given rights.

But hey, this is 2017, so words don't matter!

https://www.whitehouse.gov/1600/constitution

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 12:37 pm
I have to hand it to him; the President has officially done the first thing in his term for which I have no disagreement. Neil Gorsuch seems like a wonderful nominee to the Supreme Court. In a tribute to Antonin Scalia, whom Gorsuch will be replacing, should he survive the approval process (which is likely), he gave this statement:

Judge Neil Gorsuch wrote:Judges should instead strive (if humanly and so imperfectly) to apply the law as it is, focusing backward, not forward, and looking to text, structure, and history to decide what a reasonable reader at the time of the events in question would have understood the law to be — not to decide cases based on their own moral convictions or the policy consequences they believe might serve society best. As Justice Scalia put it, “if you’re going to be a good and faithful judge, you have to resign yourself to the fact that you’re not always going to like the conclusions you reach. If you like them all the time, you’re probably doing something wrong.”

That speaks volumes to me! And his record speaks well, too. I've criticized the President a lot, and I likely will continue to do so, but on this one, he seems to have gotten it exactly right. Thank you, Mr. President!
PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 9:39 am
Yup, this seems like a very strong pick. Granted Eisenhower thought Warren was a good pick too and then lamented the choice, saying "it was the worst decision of my life". Here's hoping we have someone akin to Scalia (I'd prefer someone akin to Thomas).

One thing that's important to remember, something I learned about way back in 5th grade... political capital. The president builds up his political capital with popular things so that he can expend that capital on unpopular things. Trump understands this principle, being a business man... and he's built up very sizable political capital, and it's only week 2. We have 4 long years to go...
PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 9:44 am
One thing I thought was interesting:

Some pro-life activists, meanwhile, say Judge Gorsuch would not meet Mr. Trump’s pledge to put pro-life judges on the federal bench.

Andrew Schlafly, a lawyer at the Legal Center for Defense of Life and son of the late conservative activist Phyllis Schlafly, said Judge Gorsuch uses pro-choice terminology in his writings and may not be willing to overturn the 1973 Roe v. Wade decision that established a national constitutional right to abortion.

“Gorsuch is not pro-life,” Mr. Schlafly said. “That would break Trump’s pro-life pledge to pick Gorsuch.”

http://m.washingtontimes.com/news/2017/ ... o-life-re/

To make matters worse, Gorsuch attends an Episcopal church, St. John's in Boulder, Colo., with a very liberal rector. The church's website mentions gun control and solar power on the home page, along with services and communion instruction. The head rector (the high church equivalent to senior pastor), Susan Woodward Springer, attended the Women's March in Washington, D.C.

"Somewhere in that glorious, unified, peaceful, friendly law-abiding crowd of 200k was a contingent from St John's in Boulder," Springer posted on Facebook. "I carried a sign that read 'Episcopalian women marching for the dignity of every human being.'"

Judge Gorsuch serves as an usher in Springer's church, and his wife gives the sermon and leads intercessory prayer on occasion. Here is the church's bulletin for November 11, 2016. Some have alleged the church is "pro-abortion," and Springer's support for the Women's March does nothing to assuage such concerns. It is not fair to judge Gorsuch by his pastor's alleged beliefs, but they do prompt questions.

https://pjmedia.com/election/2017/01/30 ... -problems/
AJ Research Dept
PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 8:50 pm
There's no doubting that Trump is getting even more stupid than we could have imagined with this tweets. He's sounding very bad and needs to stop like now.

Then again. It's interesting that the fake news attacks on Trump are getting just as crazy. For example, yesterday (Feb 01), the Associated Press and Washington Post both were busted claiming Trump threatened to virtually invade Mexico.

Sober minds in the media countered with quotes from both leaders:
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world ... 58526.html

http://thehill.com/policy/international ... oops-would

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/201 ... sreported/

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles ... r-us-might
PreviousNext

Return to It matters!