[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4758: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4759: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4760: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
ArticulationJunkies.com • View topic - Quaran Burning

Quaran Burning

Politics and religion.

Moderator: JasonNC

The Ansel Adams of Toys
PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 6:12 pm
Stealthy Toy Hunter
PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 7:20 pm
Could be. While I think what he'd planned to do was stupid, why was so much of our government commenting on it? Sec of State, Petreus, President, etc. I know the idea is that it would incite violence, but doesn't it seem odd for so many levels of government to be involved in what 1 private citizen is doing?

And I thought the President was staying out of local concerns (Mosque-that-is-not-a-mosque-that-is-not-at-ground-zero-only-close).

Also, I don't recall the Sec of State or President commenting on someone doing something offensive to Christians. Like take the whole "Piss Christ" thing from way back. But then most Christians don't cut people's heads off and fly planes into buildings I guess.

And another thing, doesn't the whole reaction to this sort of prove the point about how some Muslims react? I mean the guy was only talking about it at this point, and you already have groups burning flags and threatening to attack Americans right now. It's almost like me thinking about robbing a bank and the police showing up and putting me in jail for 10 years before I've even done anything.

Bring me all the bacon and eggs you have...
PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 10:21 pm
It's getting media attention because they love to take every opportunity to paint all Christians and right-wingers as violent, racist nutjobs. They tried it with the tea parties but it didn't work. They're still trying it with the Ground Zero Mosque. This guy handed them the golden egg. So they're gonna hammer it into the ground.
Even though most every noteworthy Christian and Christian group has said the guy was wrong, even though most every conservative pundit has said the guy was wrong, they're still gonna discuss it.

For the record, I think he shouldn't have gone down this path either. However, having said that...

Marilyn Manson pisses on a Bible on stage before ripping it up and it barely got a days worth of coverage. Nobody cares. Christians don't like it, but it's a free country.

I'm at the point now where it's getting silly that we bend over backwards for these muslim nutjobs. Have they not been killing us already? Have they not been mutilating soldiers remains already? Have they not been killing thousands in the Sudan already? Have they not already broadcast the execution of soldiers and journalists?

Obama stood behind the Mosque when he said it's a free country and they can worship and build where they want. Is it not also a free country that this guy can burn a koran if he wants? If Marilyn Manson can piss on a Bible, and American Citizens can burn their OWN nation's flag, can't this guy burn a Koran?
The Ansel Adams of Toys
PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 1:36 am
OK, so neither you or I would do it. I wouldn't do it simply because its disrespectful. Add on that it will cause human death, and its kinda a slam dunk that this is wrong. So let the media record that we condemned it, from our generals to our president to most of our religious and political leaders, yet we still allowed our principal of free speech under a nation of laws to win.

It is a cancer on their religion that violence is too often a reaction to speech. The diminished rule of law under the middle eastern dictatorships I think leads to mob tactics and problem solving through violence. But let it be recorded what the reactions were, both here and abroad, and history may view those images differently than the network narrators intend.

Snarky!
PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 7:16 am
I just wonder how long we're going to hand over our lunch money before somebody actually decides to stand up.

No matter how many nice, respectful gestures people in America make, when one person does something, it seems like the entire Muslim world hates America. I'm getting tired of seeing our leaders kowtow to bullying and blackmail.

And, Jason, the reason nobody cares when Christians are offended is that we don't view "kill the guy who offended me and terrorize his entire country" as the optimum solution.

Bring me all the bacon and eggs you have...
PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 8:31 am
I think you have a point there.

Snarky!
PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 7:47 am
Really, this is the only way to wrap up this thread.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4HX5-ulcdXc
Previous

Return to It matters!