THE THREAD

Just a place to talk about... whatever.

Moderator: JasonNC

Bring me all the bacon and eggs you have...
PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 10:57 pm
Figured I'd change things up on the site a bit. Feel free to start other topics if you want, but this thread is open to whatever you want to talk about, just keep it PG-13. :P

You know SDCC is big when Conan hosts his show there....

BTW, saw Spider-Man Homecoming. I liked it... but the more time passes, the less I like it. If you ever watch Diversity and Comics videos on Youtube, I think his 3 videos on the movie pretty much sum up my thoughts.

Anybody interested in any DCUC figures? :)

Snarky!
PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 8:23 am
My DCUC collection is down to three guys, and one of them is a custom. I think I'm good.

As for Homecoming, I think it was good, but it's "Marvel Movie Good". Which is to say that it seems very safe and corporate-approved. Having recently re-watched the Raimi movies, they've got this creative spark that's missing from Homecoming. You can really see the Sam Raimi influence all over them, and the "fan making his dream movie" feeling is there throughout. I think Tom Holland in Homecoming gives a great performance, probably the best on-screen Spidey, but there's just that Disneyfied feel to everything that keeps it from being really memorable. It's just the latest episode in The Marvel Show.

Also, if I can spoiler, what the heck is the deal with "MJ"? Like, sure, stunt casting and all, but the character is totally different. Liz is more MJ, though still not really. Why even include that character if she's going to be so different? The same is, I guess, true for Ned, but who gives a crap about Ned Leeds? Mary Jane is an entrenched part of the Spidey lore at this point.

Jenny Nicholson put up a Homecoming video just recently, and pointed out how nice and friendly everything is, which I hadn't thought about specifically, but is definitely part and parcel of the Disneyfication I mentioned. Everybody likes Spidey, most everybody likes Peter, and Flash's "bullying" is limited to calling Peter names a couple of times. There are no mean jocks, Peter has good friends (and a fairy godfather in Tony Stark), there's no mention of Uncle Ben or "great responsibility". Peter's just this kid with fun powers who has a fun time (mostly). There's none of the regret that fueled the origin of the character, and there aren't really any challenges for Peter to overcome in his personal life.

In short, it's fun and I think the character was portrayed well, but it's missing some of what makes Spider-Man who he is.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 9:07 am
That pretty much sums it up.

You seen the man thing wave yet?
Woah! Double lightsaber! Double lightsaber all the way!
PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 3:26 pm
Actually, I have a very different take on Peter and his supporting cast. This movie felt to me like reading Ultimate Spider-Man did back in 2000. Not that it was like USM. Actually, more of the story beats were pulled from the Lee/Ditko era than anywhere else (which no other film has really done much with so far; both of the other two film series pulled more from the Romita era). But what felt like USM was that this felt like a fresh, contemporary take on Spidey that didn't miss the core of the character. Yes, it bugged me that they didn't even reference Uncle Ben (other than the cryptic hint about May "having a hard time lately" that Peter said). But I get why they wanted to stay away from the origin. It's been done to death.

Having Flash and Liz be part of Peter's peer group makes their importance to his life make a lot more sense in a world of STEM schools and giant student populations (as opposed to them being the quarterback and head cheerleader of old). As for Ned, he's pretty much exactly like Miles Morales' best friend in the comics (his name is really hard to say, and I don't feel like looking it up), and his inclusion was very different for classic Spidey, but even USM realized back in the day that Pete should have a best friend to play off of (even if it was MJ there, and they got romantic pretty quick), as did the Raimi films with having Harry as a high school buddy rather than someone he met and got to know in college.

While I do agree about the MCU "sameness" that permeated the film and kept it from rising to true greatness, I still think this was probably the strongest take on Spidey we've gotten. The moment it really clicked for me was at Liz's party when Pete is about to show up as Spider-Man and impress Liz (and shut up Flash), but seeing the explosion on the horizon, it's almost as if he has no choice but to ditch. That's totally Peter Parker/Spider-Man right there. I don't think Raimi or Webb ever got the character as right as this film got him in just that one moment. No weeping, no brooding. He just sighed and went (knowing it was going to screw up his social life) without giving it a second thought.

And yeah, using the fact that they never said any of the friends' last names (even in the credits) to hide the fact that Liz "Allen" was actually Liz Toomes (and that whole contrived plot point) was a bit much, but Keaton's performance as the Vulture made me forgive the filmmakers for turning the character into a blue collar Green Goblin. That being said, I really hope we get a villain who doesn't have any "father" or family ties to Spidey in the next one, because you'd think (all evidence to the contrary) that at least ONE Spider-Man film would be able to avoid that whole trope at some point (for a second there, I was thinking ASM had avoided it, but then I remembered that Curt Connors was Richard Parker's research partner, not to mention all the daddy issues in that film overall).

The name thing also adds to the biggest confusion over the film: Is Michelle supposed to be Mary Jane Watson? Feige says she's not. He said the "MJ" thing was more acknowledging the character's significance to Spidey's past, particularly on film. But it could be that he didn't want us guessing whether she and Peter would get together later. Either way, it was weird. If they were just completely reinventing MJ (again, like in the USM comics) then fine, but the whole Michelle/MJ thing is just a strange choice, especially since we really don't know what it means at this point.

I guess what impressed me most about this film was that the other Spider-films seemed more like adaptations of Spider-Man, while this felt more like an actual version of the character. Not the classic version, of course. But maybe something akin to Ultimate. This isn't Raimi's vision or Webb's vision or any one creator's vision of Spidey. This is Spider-Man as he exists in the MCU. And yeah, it may not make for as epic a film, but it does make me a bit more invested in the character, and going forward, that might be more important to the longterm story.

(That being said, Spider-Man 2 is still the best Spidey movie, hands down. ASM2 is the worst, followed closely by SM3. This latest is #2 or #3.)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 11:25 pm
Lemme think on that earth. In the meantime, I like these: http://toynewsi.com/ig.php?mode=view&al ... 0&sl=29409

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 10:18 am
Neca planning a fully articulated 36" Deadpool... why?

Snarky!
PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 9:46 am
JasonNC wrote:Lemme think on that earth. In the meantime, I like these: http://toynewsi.com/ig.php?mode=view&al ... 0&sl=29409

They're like less detailed vintage figures. I don't really see the point.

Here's a link to the Jenny Nicholson video I mentioned before, because why not? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DC_AqezinXM

SDCC is being a bunch of jerks: https://www.techdirt.com/articles/20170 ... -con.shtml

I just re-watched Coraline with my kids. They liked it, and now are asking for other "kinda creepy but okay for kids" movies. Do you guys have any suggestions? We've already watched Gremlins and its clone, Small Soldiers, as well as Gremlins 2, which is barely scary.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 10:13 am
They're classic motu with filmation heads and articulates hips instead of bands!
Kubo and the two strings? Same ppl that made coraline I believe. Neca just go the license for them.

Snarky!
PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 10:43 am
We went and saw Kubo in theaters. They've also watched Nightmare Before Christmas.

I've suggested Corpse Bride, but nobody seems interested.

On the MOTU, I don't see how articulated hips would be much of an effective change, other than making them a little easier to stand in the same pose.

Snarky!
PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 10:58 am
Power of the Primes Preview:

http://news.tfw2005.com/2017/07/20/san- ... ast-344837

Apparently, there are more Titan Masters, but they're not heads anymore. Now they're the avatars of the 13 Primes. One of them is the middle of the Matrix that comes with the new leader-class Rodimus Prime, who looks pretty cool. I hear he combines with Deluxe Hot Rod in some way. That wasn't quite clear.

The new Jazz is definitely a downgrade, but he's not bad. I've been wishing for Voyager seekers forever, but that Starscream just isn't doing it for me. The oversized hands and feet are just a little too Rescue Bots for me.

I think it's cool that Darkwing and Dreadwind are getting new figures, even if they're just re-used Combiner Wars bodies. Sad that they probably won't be able to link together.

New Pretenders are cool. I like that they're teeny and just barely fit a Titan Master guy now.

I saw Black Shadow the other day, but I'm holding off for Overlord. For now. I may cave, because it's a really cool looking mold.
Next

Return to Pull up a chair... help yourself to whatever is in the fridge.