New MOTUC - Super7

Mixing things up a bit. Let's have one forum for toy discussion. We can have multiple threads, or just one thread, doesn't matter, but let's try having it all in one place for a while and see if that doesn't help discussion. '

And just a reminder... we don't really mod... anything... so thread drift is not a problem. However I left the General forums because some topics require more time/seriousness/devotion... I.E. more than "drift"

All the other toy forums are under archives, so we can bring them back if everyone hates this.
AJ Research Dept
PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 8:44 pm
I don't think I'm all that impressed with the Super7's merchandise. Seems they're doing an okay biz by selling a lot of cheap pop culture stuff: retro figs with virtually no articulation and paint; drinking glasses; T-shirts, etc. Hey, if they're satisfying a market, I guess that's okay. I just don't want any of this low production cost, high priced stuff.

But the Super7 have teamed up with my fave toy studio, the 4H, to keep MOTUC going. The 4H make good quality stuff. I personally don't want any more MOTUC except for the Filmation figs, which I think the 4H has done a pretty good job on. I got all of the Grayskull Filmation figs -- He-Man, Skeletor, Beastman, Trapjaw, Evil Lyn, and Evil Seed -- except for Clawful from a good guy in Alberta (and I somehow want to pick up Clawful too). The figs genuinely look like the toon characters, being more streamlined and simplified than the vintage ones.

My latest challenge is that I want to get the 2nd Filmation series. It's a smaller offering of four, except they're going at the stupid price of $35 each, which is one hell of a leap from the $20-25 Matty price. Here are the promo pics of Hordak, Man-at-Arms, Tri-Klops, and Teela:

Protos with accessories:

They go for pre-order on Fri (May 05). What makes the pricing even crazier is that the shipping is off the chart, last I checked. The set will cost $140 ($193 CAD) plus about $50 or up to $60 ($69 to $83 CAD) for shipping.

These are the motuc I waited years for to finally show up, and they couldn't arrive at a worse time for an int'l buyer. High prices, bad currency exchange, and sick shipping.

I'm in toy conflict. :evil: :o I could order these and swallow a nasty bill. Or hope to hook up with a fellow American motuc collector, pay him, and hope to get a lower shipping bill if they were sent to me loose. Or roll the dice and hope to trade for them in October, when they're supposed to ship. Or wait a long time and slowly pick them up, 1 or 2 at a time, thinking to save a few bucks over a year. Or just say: F&^% it. The whole thing is out of control and not worth it.

I hate to say it, but I miss Matty pricing. Not their Digital River fulfillment, but the pricing....
Snarky!
PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 7:53 am
The early Super 7 stuff I saw seemed to really fill out the package with tons of accessories that made the price easier to swallow, but I'm not seeing that with this set. Tri Klops particularly looks like a raw deal, sporting just that sword.

The figures look perfect, though. I can appreciate your conflict.

As for the pricing, I wouldn't be surprised if they've got to pay Mattel most of the profit on these guys, so they're basically acting as a reseller rather than an original retailer. Just my guess, though. (Not that that explains the exorbitant shipping price.)
AJ Research Dept
PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 1:09 pm
After reading the forum at He-Man.org, it looks like there's a lot of frustration with the new motuc pre-orders. Not only is the jump in Filmation sticker price from $20 to $35 a shocker, but Americans on the east coast are faced with shipping almost as high as that for Canadians and other int'ls.

The main problem with shipping is that USPS has become damn expensive with anything over 4 pounds, and these parcels get bumped to Priority service. And the Super7 apparently have no negotiated 'pricing tier' savings with USPS.

There's only 2 ways around the USPS Priority trap. Either the Super7 sell these figures in pairs (preferable) or singles - to get a cheaper mail service. Or the Super7 must physically transport all the parcels from their warehouse to their local USPS center and ask for ground service. If they don't, Priority is the only way, and trucks will come to a seller and pick them up.

It looks like motuc production will be falling. It will become even more niche and a line just for the rich kids.

Meanwhile, Mattel has been clearing out the last of their stock, with free shipping over $100 in product sold.
Chief Commander of the Skrull Horde
PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 10:46 am
what is Super7?
AJ Research Dept
PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 1:59 am
b0bb33z3r wrote:what is Super7?

A small toy company based out of San Fran. I wouldn't touch of any of their stuff normally, but they teamed with the Four Horsemen to keep the MOTUC line going after Mattel dropped it. The 4H are talented and smart. They continue to steward the line along as creators while getting the Super7 to oversee the headache of production and distribution. Hey, I feel for them. It would be a total headache.

The latest news: After many fans complained, the Super7 re-investigated shipping prices. They were able to include a standard ground parcel option so fans wouldn't be forced to take Priority shipping. For many Americans, this has drastically reduced the cost of shipping. For Canadians and int'ls, the inclusion of standard parcel shipping has been encouraging, though not exactly as amazing. My potential shipping drops from $51.40 Priority to $35 Standard. That's almost tolerable in this age of super expensive int'l shipping. It's obviously off the chart for state-to-state prices.

In the final year of MattyCollector, the best price they could offer for a ground sm packet containing 1 motuc sent to Canada was $15 or thereabouts (now the standard USPS price for sm packets under 2 LBs). So... given that scary math, 4 such singles sent to me would cost $60 in shipping, under Matty. So... as scary as it sounds.... 4 motuc sent together for $35 is, gulp, a comparative deal in this insane world, with savings of $25.

Funny, I waited 8 years for the core Filmation figs to show up. The first batch were really cool. Seeing they were popular, the Super7 and 4H have planned more waves... just as the cost of everything is going insane in the brain.
Woah! Double lightsaber! Double lightsaber all the way!
PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 3:00 pm
The only thing by Super 7 I have is a pack of M.O.T.U.S.C.L.E. (M.U.S.C.L.E. style MOTU rubber figures). I haven't taken them off the card, but they look good.

But the price for their MOTUC figures is a tough pill to swallow, indeed.
Snarky!
PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 11:52 am
I think the Filmation style makes it hurt just a little more, since they're by definition going to have less detail and not a lot of fine paint applications. I mean, that's what they're supposed to look like, but it still feels like a little less for the money, somehow.
Chief Commander of the Skrull Horde
PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 9:23 am
Dorm wrote:
b0bb33z3r wrote:what is Super7?

A small toy company based out of San Fran. I wouldn't touch of any of their stuff normally, but they teamed with the Four Horsemen to keep the MOTUC line going after Mattel dropped it.

Mattel dropped it?! Wow, im out of the loop. When did they drop it? Do they sell any of the figs on Matty any more?

Return to Toys!