Kickstarter Stuff

Mixing things up a bit. Let's have one forum for toy discussion. We can have multiple threads, or just one thread, doesn't matter, but let's try having it all in one place for a while and see if that doesn't help discussion. '

And just a reminder... we don't really mod... anything... so thread drift is not a problem. However I left the General forums because some topics require more time/seriousness/devotion... I.E. more than "drift"

All the other toy forums are under archives, so we can bring them back if everyone hates this.
AJ Research Dept
PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 10:16 pm
Woah, that's quite a buddy if he bought you two Legions! Nice.

I'm like you. I also passed on Gonxx or whatever he is called. Just a dwarf with a goblin helmet. I got Snagg, Knubnik + 2 builders. Like you, I also got Gwen. I caved on Jjuno too. I'm tempted to make a preorder for 4 of the last ones I wanted but declined on during the KS: Dwarf King, Goblin King, Voodoo Chick (Herra), and B'alam. Damn Canadian dollar just crashed yet another penny vs the $USD, making it agonizing to pull the trigger.

Legions are so cool that I am taking a good look at my older figures with the idea of whittling their numbers down for cash and space. I have a boxed Panthor and 15 tertiary motucs to unload (I don't need any modern 200x-inspired or mini-comic stuff). I'm convincing myself to sell most of my DC Directs (to break even on them), and consolidating the rest in with my DCUC display.

Know anyone who wants an instant DC Direct and motuc collection?

Just sold 25-ish JLUs at a good price locally last week. I picked those up yrs back; a guy very generously gave half of them to me for free. Sold another smaller group of Legends related figures last month.

I'm thankfully lukewarm on Legends at the moment. Of the few new ones I find, they're 'not bad', but don't floor me any more. The full retail price isn't so fun. Mythic Legions are cooler, and despite their even higher price, you still get a lot of bang for the buck. :D
Chief Commander of the Skrull Horde
PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 9:10 am
wow, those look amazing. how much does each figure run?

Snarky!
PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 1:13 pm
Yeah; I've cut my Legends collection way down, too. I'm still hanging onto my Spidey-verse stuff, but almost everything else has been sold now. It's funny to say in the "I just dumped a bunch of cash on Mythic Legions" thread, but I've realized that it's really all about Transformers for me, so I'm trying to restrict myself to that line and stop buying/start selling most everything else. In fact, I'm about to clean out most of my Palisades Muppets, though I'll keep a few favorites just because.

Bob, there are a couple of levels of Mythic Legions. The "legion builder" figures generally have less paint and less accessories, and go for $22. The named characters have fancier paint and more extras and go for $35, and they've got a couple this time with big wings that are a bit more. All the figures were a little cheaper (though not much) during the Kickstarter. The consolation that keeps me from feeling like a total idiot is that they seem to uniformly be about twice that on ebay these days, so if I feel like a dope and decide to sell them, I should at least be able to make my money back.

I got Gwen, the standard armored female, all the goblins except Gonxx (with 3 or 4 of the legion builder), and Gryssha, who just looked awesome to me. I did a lot of waffling about Jjuno, the blue female mage, and Hagnon, just because he's clear and that looks cool. I was excited about the Dwarf king, but when they revealed the final version, he didn't do it for me. I had intended to get Brother whatever the skeleton guy, but my enthusiasm for him waned as I realized that I just wanted some of the skeleton army builders they don't sell anymore (and as I allocated more and more of my budget to goblins).

Considering the aftermarket demand for these guys, I'm kind of surprised that the Horsemen haven't worked out a way to keep some stock on hand, at least for the army builders. Seems like they'd continue to sell well for a while, given that some of them are going in the $40-50 range on ebay (which really annoys me, because I want a silver dwarf who's supposed to be 20 bucks).
AJ Research Dept
PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 9:07 pm
Heli, now that I own Legions series 1, and bought a few of the series 1.5 and 1.75, and finally had a very good online look at Legions series 2, I'm still convinced that Series 1 is the most kick-ass arrangement.

If anyone is interested, Series 1 is being reproduced due to massive demand. The 4H quickly realized that word-of-mouth finally kicked in after 2 years. Pre-orders will be announced sometime in the future this year to meet the demand. I own nearly every single one of them, and took doubles on the Orc legion builder and Skeleton legion builder. They are damn cool.

I like the dwarfs and they look stellar, but beware. While they have the same artic joints, they are still less articulate because the bodies are more compact and harder to move about.

Also beware: while the 2 Demons and Barbarian figures are insanely good, one has to be very gentle on the neck pegs when popping heads on and off. 'Some' of the necks can break if you're rough (replacement parts are available for free, if you can explain it was not your fault).

When you play around with these figs and want to find new poses, or make new figures out of parts, I suggest soaking them in warm water first to loosen them up. They have tight joints. Makes articulation easier and less of a paranoid affair (I don't want to break a $35-40 figure, even if replacement parts might be a possibility).

They're all great, but I've had the most fun posing the Skeletons. They really look like they're right out of a high budget movie.

Here's Series 1:

Snarky!
PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 12:31 pm
Yeah; part of the reason I decided to hold off on buying more for this release is that I heard the rumor about the wave 1 preorders coming up soon. There are a few of those guys I'd really like to get, of course including the standard skeleton.

I definitely won't ever be a completist on the line, but I wouldn't mind getting a few more guys who tick the right boxes on my "generic fantasy" playlist.
AJ Research Dept
PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 4:27 pm
Out of all of Series 1, my fave top10 are these:

Good guys
1. Sir Galeron
2. Vitus
3. Attlus the Conqueror
4. Barbarian Builder Set (for customizing a barbarian from all the extra pieces)

Bad Guys
5. Carpathias the vampire
6. The Blood Knight (fan exclusive)
7. Standard Skeleton
8. Zazhar the Demon
9. Urzokk the Orc warlord
10. Gorgo Aetherblade

Snarky!
PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 10:46 am
I've got the barbarian builder, which is now permanently a lazy Warduke custom.

The Blood Knight really looks awesome to me, but I don't know if I'll get another shot at him. And, of course, the standard skeleton is really cool.
AJ Research Dept
PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 10:13 pm
Heli wrote:I've got the barbarian builder, which is now permanently a lazy Warduke custom.

The Blood Knight really looks awesome to me, but I don't know if I'll get another shot at him. And, of course, the standard skeleton is really cool.

You got the BB? That's cool. I actually have 2 of them. One is a generic barbarian hanging with Attlus on my shelf. The other is MOC, which I traded for 2 MOC DCUC for. I've been holding on to it -- either to eventually set up or trade.

The good thing about the Blood Knight is that it belongs to the group of characters who were produced the most. So there's more -- like 30% to 50% more, I read somewhere -- Blood Knights produced compared to a less popular figure like Jorund Runeshaper or others who were produced the least.

I think if you have sweet stuff to trade or a weakness to splurge $50-ish bucks, you could get one from the 4H trading forum. Better yet, wait til the summer when it's rumoured ML 1.0 will be up for pre-orders again @ $35. I recommend the fig totally. The thing has an era of Conan epic-ness to it.
Last edited by Dorm on Mon May 01, 2017 10:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.
AJ Research Dept
PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 10:24 pm
Damn, last night I caved and bought 3 pre-orders, 3 of the 4 extras I wanted: Dwarf King, Goblin King, and B'alam. I settled at 3 because the int'l shipping to Canada stayed at $15.50 for either 1, 2, or 3. If I had gotten the 4th, Herra, the shipping would have jumped to $24.50.

Maybe in a year I'll be able to buy or trade for the 4th. Whatever, it's too far in the future to get too worked up about.

Or is it>?>?? :o :shock: ;)

Snarky!
PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 7:45 am
I tried on the forum for a silver dwarf and got one guy telling me to preorder the new dwarf and paint it and another telling me to order a different figure from BBTS, so I'm not really counting on much from the sale thread there.

That said, the knowledge that they'll be opening orders again keeps me from spending EVEN MORE on these things. I'll just be patient and pay the expensive retail rather than the over-inflated aftermarket price.

And I'm impressed on the Canadian shipping. I looked at throwing in another thing as a preorder, but shipping to the US was going to be a little over ten bucks. I don't know what the usual difference is, but it sounds like you're not getting a much worse deal than I would have.
PreviousNext

Return to Toys!