Kickstarter Stuff

Mixing things up a bit. Let's have one forum for toy discussion. We can have multiple threads, or just one thread, doesn't matter, but let's try having it all in one place for a while and see if that doesn't help discussion. '

And just a reminder... we don't really mod... anything... so thread drift is not a problem. However I left the General forums because some topics require more time/seriousness/devotion... I.E. more than "drift"

All the other toy forums are under archives, so we can bring them back if everyone hates this.
Snarky!
PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 4:18 pm
Here's a neat idea; the official Larry Hama action figure.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/fr ... escription

I don't really want one $25 worth, but it's cool that they're making a Joe-compatible figure of arguably the most important creator of the Joe mythos.
Chief Commander of the Skrull Horde
PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 11:42 am
thats awesome. I might get one since Joes are so few and far between these days. Any chance we'll see that line get a resurgence?
Snarky!
PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 1:27 pm
Hasbro claims it's not forgotten, and I do remember seeing an interview with the guy who was in charge of the line not too long ago, but it's been awfully quiet.

There's clearly still a demand for military action figures; The Corps is still around, as are the other various knockoff lines. I have to think Hasbro could get back in the game any time they wanted. Maybe they're waiting for yet another media re-launch, but given that the scheduling of the last movie is what killed the line in the first place, that seems short-sighted.
Woah! Double lightsaber! Double lightsaber all the way!
PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 3:54 pm
I think we all remember Hama's greatest--and most personal--work:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barack_the_Barbarian

I wonder why they don't immortalize him in a figure-style more reminiscent of such a seminal work? They could use MOTUC as a template.
Chief Commander of the Skrull Horde
PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 3:18 pm
Heli wrote:Hasbro claims it's not forgotten, and I do remember seeing an interview with the guy who was in charge of the line not too long ago, but it's been awfully quiet.

There's clearly still a demand for military action figures; The Corps is still around, as are the other various knockoff lines. I have to think Hasbro could get back in the game any time they wanted. Maybe they're waiting for yet another media re-launch, but given that the scheduling of the last movie is what killed the line in the first place, that seems short-sighted.

I do have to laugh, I remember back in the glory days of toy collecting when the price of figures jumped and Hasbro's argument was "oil prices are so high that we have to raise prices"...

oil prices have fallen to record lows, but the price of figures keeps climbing. :P

I would really love to see some more Joes and I really hope they're not waiting for a movie to do it.
Snarky!
PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 7:08 am
If you've really got the itch, I hear Marauder's stuff is good.

https://www.marauderinc.com/

Admittedly, not actual Joe characters or anything, but 4" military figures that are easily to customize.

And, yeah, that "oil prices" thing was everybody's go-to excuse. Now I guess they just don't answer.
AJ Research Dept
PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 9:29 pm
I saved some money and sold some stuff to add 21 more Mythic Legions to my collection during the KS that recently came to an end. I'll see them in a year. :shock:

Something like 43 figured offered. I got less than half, a bit less than last time. The 4H raised nearly a million bucks with this KS. Mind you, a good portion of it will go to costs and growing their business.

Nice to see a completely independent toy company doing so well with direct sales.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/fo ... horsemen-s

Snarky!
PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 9:42 am
I didn't go in nearly that deep, but I did pick up a few. Mainly the goblins; they really clicked for me.

Preorders are going on now at Store Horsemen, and I'm a little tempted to throw in a bit more, but these things get expensive fast. Even pacing myself with the Kickstarter, I already spent more than I should have.

And, yeah, the year wait really sucks. I suppose I should be used to preorders by now, but I've mainly been buying stuff that already exists and is in stock when I've bought toys lately, so it's a bummer to see "April 2018" as the predicted date. And there's not even a guarantee on that time; it could be longer. Ugh. I guess the idea is put down your money and just forget about it until UPS Santa shows up with a giant box in a year.
AJ Research Dept
PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 11:17 pm
Heli, you surprised me! Mythic Legions, wow. :o :shock:

I'm tempted to say, Good for You! But damn, they are sick expensive -- a bit more so for someone like me too. As I keep lamenting, our Loonie dollar is in the toilet and the extra money for shipping int'l is gross. So my bill was... ugh.

So far, I have decided to hold my breath and not get the 4 more Legions I want. Hope I won't cave. I'm just focusing on selling more stuff to pay for my KS purchase.

The Goblins are pretty swift, though, eh? I got 2 of the expensive ones and 2 of the legion builders (the latter category have the best head sculpts. They looks so nasty!)

I keep almost all my different figures in 'the toy room', but even after a year of owning nearly all the Mythic Legions from the first KS, I still proudly display them on my two main book shelves outside the room. They still look that good. When I added the imposing Stone Troll to the evil guy shelf, the fun level went to eleven. They look slick.

Warning to all: don't get into this line. It's awesome and way too expensive.
Snarky!
PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 7:41 am
An online buddy of mine raves about Mythic Legions all the time, and went so far as to just buy me a couple last time they were in stock at Store Horsemen. I went back and forth a bunch on the Kickstarter, but I recently got a promotion at work, so I decided I could do a minor celebratory splurge and get some more.

I originally intended to get all the goblins, but ultimately decided to pass on Gonxx, since he's just a dwarf with a new head (that comes with the army builder guys). Heli, Jr. was going to use some money she'd saved up to get Gwendolyne (insert extra letters as appropriate for 4HM-ness), but ultimately decided to pass... and then I wound up ordering one anyway. She was the one that originally interested me, but they revealed a lot of cool stuff as it went on, and the gobbos sealed the deal.

I'm really tempted to get a Dark Forces weapon pack to change up stuff with the goblins, but the price is a tough leap. I'm also a little tempted by Jjuno, just because she's got that barbarian warrior woman vibe down pretty well, but, man, thirty plus bucks a pop is a hard pill to swallow.

I did a lot of back and forth on Mythic Legions, to be sure. It's never going to be my main line or anything, but if I can snag a cool figure here and there, I might do it from time to time. Or maybe I'll just have a sweet goblin army and call it a day. That could work, too.
Next

Return to Toys!