Upcoming Marvel Legends

Mixing things up a bit. Let's have one forum for toy discussion. We can have multiple threads, or just one thread, doesn't matter, but let's try having it all in one place for a while and see if that doesn't help discussion. '

And just a reminder... we don't really mod... anything... so thread drift is not a problem. However I left the General forums because some topics require more time/seriousness/devotion... I.E. more than "drift"

All the other toy forums are under archives, so we can bring them back if everyone hates this.
AJ Research Dept
PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 11:50 pm
From SDCC:

http://news.toyark.com/2016/07/20/sdcc- ... 518#images

The SDCC Exclusives ML boxset, I just found out, is called the Raft.

I really want Enchantress. Dread Knight and Purple Man look good too. Sandman looks okay, though we'll see it everywhere soon at stores with a green shirt version. Abomination looks alright. Don't care about Spidey.

The Dr. Strange wave sadly isn't doing much for me at all. What a disappointment for the old guard of Dr Strange fans. They wait silently for 25-40 years from childhood on, and don't see a single classic figure. :o :cry: :| Iron Fist looks okay, but I just want an updated classic version with the signature funky collar.

The Abomination looks okay. The BAF is not bad. Eel and Cpt Britain look cool, though an updated classic ver sion of Cpt Brit would have been preferable to most people, from what I read. Wonder Man looks okay, but kind of uninspired and average.

The Guardians of the Galaxy MLs are largely a pass for me.
http://news.toyark.com/2016/07/24/sdcc- ... ate-216116

Mind you, Vance Astro might be a keeper. I started a custom of the classic character. The Hasbro one will be better than I can make.

The X-Men Legends 2 series is hit and miss for me.
http://news.toyark.com/2016/07/23/sdcc- ... ges-215865

Classic Sunfire is great. Classic Dazzler is an interesting oddity worth getting. Jim Lee Cyclops is not too shabby. I really like BAF Warlock, but doubt I'll collect enough figures to actually assemble him. Colossus could have been outstanding with any other costume except the one they gave him here. This short-lived costume looks awful. I would have preferred even a metal man in red pants as opposed to the excessive red and yellow patterns here, with the black rectangle over his torso. The rest are of little interest.

Last of all, there's a pair of Spidey figures that look interesting:
http://news.toyark.com/2016/07/21/sdcc- ... tos-214320

Classic Goblin is well done. Classic Jackal looks good, and its new body seems to be a harbinger for a new classic Beast. Looks like Perez Beast to me, which has been on many a wishlist for well over a decade.

It's pretty obvious that I'm biased toward iconic, classic looks. But Hasbro is good in that they regularly tend to throw in costumes and characters to satisfy fans from all eras.

Snarky!
PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 8:31 am
Man, what a weird thing to think that there's a Hasbro-produced Marvel Legends Angela figure coming out. I never would have seen that coming back in the 90s. Then again, the fact that there's a mass release Brother Voodoo figure is also way up on the "never would have expected that" scale.

I really like that Warlock. Like you, though, there's no way I'll build him.

Jackal looks cool, but I'd also rather see a Perez Beast on that body.

Polaris looks neat and I actually really like disco Dazzler.

The SDCC set looks cool, but even in the old days, I never would have gotten it. Just too expensive and too hard to struggle through HTS to try for one before they're gone.

I like that they made a shield throwing hand for Cap, even if it's a weird Cap. Not totally sold on the effect, but he's also in a terrible pose. I'd bet you could get some cool looks with a little care.
AJ Research Dept
PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 2:06 pm
It's bittersweet. On one hand, there's only a few figures I'm interested in. Hasbro design keeps getting better, but there's only a few characters/costumes that do it for me. I'm actually glad because of the costs. I'd much rather get a handful of figures I'm 100% interested in compared to the older, cheaper method of getting most and hoping they'll be interesting.

The guy who originally msged me about going halfers on 'The Raft' SDCC set has gone silent. Weeks ago, he was talking like it was a done deal for 3 back-and-forth msgs. Last I saw him post on another forum board, he wrote about buying a few sets and cranking the prices (scalping) to 'cover his costs'. Last I checked, shipping was free from HTS over $50+ orders. The costs he's talking about, I guess, is a code word for profit.

Out of everything revealed, I'm only excited about these (5 obscures, and 2 heavy hitters).

Enchantress
Dread Knight
Eel
Vance Astro
Sunfire
Dazzler
Green Goblin

Bring me all the bacon and eggs you have...
PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 11:09 am
http://news.toyark.com/2017/02/08/new-m ... ges-238655
New 12" hulk and Thor. Hulk looks so chopped up... like a revoltech figure.

Snarky!
PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 12:02 pm
Eh, they lost me at 12".

I'm just not interested in (nor do I have space for) big figures anymore.
Don't forget the popcorn!
PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 1:39 am
I wish they'd make more giant sized figures in the 12" line. Maybe another Giant Man or Goliath for example.

Snarky!
PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 8:33 am
Yeah; size changing guys would be a great use of that line. Then they'd fit in with 12" and 6" collections.

Of course, then they also wouldn't be Wolverine or Spider-Man, so it's probably a tough sell.
Don't forget the popcorn!
PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 9:28 am
Oh I know they've gotta work in the heavy hitters, even if they snuck in one size changer. I'd be happy
Woah! Double lightsaber! Double lightsaber all the way!
PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 4:02 pm
Am I the only one who finds it annoying that you have to buy the entire Spider-Man: Homecoming wave if you want the Keaton Vulture to have his wings? I mean, it's great that they made the ML version with such impressive, huge wings (especially since the tiny wings on many of the kid-oriented Vultures are ridiculous-looking), but couldn't they just release him as a big box deluxe or something and use the Build-a-Fig for an actual additional character?

He looks amazing, but if you just buy the figure, you get a guy with a weird flightsuit and helmet. If you want to complete that one figure, you have to buy the whole wave! It's as if the actual Vulture figure is just a BAF component sold by itself!

Snarky!
PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 8:18 am
I have to agree. That was a really weird decision.

And it's not like it would be unprecedented to have an additional boxed item; Ant Man got that boxed set with the giant ant figure.
Next

Return to Toys!