Dorm's customs - Cpt. Marvel

Assembly required
Resident Custom Guru
PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 4:43 am
I don't know who doctor spectrum is but I really like how you made him, excellent job, I hope I get that good with customs someday.
AJ Research Dept
PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 2:28 pm
Thanks, Jason!

Thanks, Hellstrike! I don't know much about the Halo and Star Wars stuff you've worked on, but I like how they turned out. They have personality. I don't think my customs are any better than yours. I have a secret ingredient that seems to help when I paint certain areas of my customs -- spray paint! (Examples: the white on Graviton, the yellow and red on Dr. Spectrum). Give it a try. I can recommend certain kinds.
Resident Custom Guru
PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 2:53 pm
Lol I tried spray paint once, didn't listen to the "Use in well ventilated area" Oh man what a night I cant recall most of, I try to "kit-bash" i think that is the right term, my biggest secret is actually a very light coat of super glue as a sealant, if done right it gives a small gloss plus the shock resistance is AMAZING, when I make something I make sure it can be played with if need be lol, what do you think about testers model paints, if you ever used them? I was considering getting a large set but don't know many custom makers, and I wanted to ask input from one first.
AJ Research Dept
PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 3:11 pm
I've heard of the super glue gloss, and I've experimented with it once. But I'm not a big fan of the potential health hazards, so I only use it very briefly to bond stuff. One time I was using a lot of super glue and I started coughing like crazy and feeling faint.

I use Citadel Game workshop paints. It was that or invest in Testors. Both were recommended to me. I finally found a few Testors. They were quite different from Citadel, because the latter is water-based and dries very fast. Whereas Testors may take hours. I like being able to work fast when inspired so I like the aspect of being able to apply lots of different coats within minutes. I also am going to try putting windex in my Citadel paints to give them more sheen and stop them from drying too fast.

Spray paint

I have a Testors chrome spray and it is awesome. I have a can of white Duplicolor for Plastic/Vinyl, which is by far the best spray I've used. Excellent stuff. I also have cans of yellow and red Krylon. The colours are great, but the applied paint is sticky and takes a long time to dry. A single smudge can wreck all your work.

Spray paint can be dangerous stuff, so I only use it with gloves, safety glasses, and a gas-mask. Those chemical vapours are nasty. Everything sprayed should sit outside for at least 24 hours.

Snarky!
PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 8:48 am
If I can jump in, Krylon's Fusion (and the Duplicolor vinyl stuff) are great for plastic toys because they bond to the plastic and don't flake off. I used Duplicolor on the Transformer custom I just finished (for the black) and it's solid as a rock, even on areas with a lot of potential scrapes.
AJ Research Dept
PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 9:00 pm
Absolutely. I used to sing praises for krylon because that's all I knew about, but once I used Duplicolor (recommended to me by GrownNerd), it was a big diff. Solid as a rock is right.
Chief Commander of the Skrull Horde
PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 8:32 am
Dorm wrote:The Thing

Head swap, neck-engineering, and repaint

ImageImage

ImageImage

ImageImage

I'm bumping this only because I love it so much. How hard was the neck re-engineering? I would love to do this myself.
AJ Research Dept
PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 3:49 pm
b0bb33z3r wrote:I'm bumping this only because I love it so much. How hard was the neck re-engineering? I would love to do this myself.

Wow, thank you very much. I'd be happy to help.

Outside of trying to paint this guy, the neck was the hardest part.

1. The Hasbro head was extremely difficult to remove, because it's anchored in there almost permanently. You have to heat up the head bigtime with boiling water, get in there with needle-nose pliers, and fight with it for ten minutes. It will eventually pop from a strange, circular peg that's fit sideways.

-next, use a rotary tool or some grinding device to work around the new hole, to slightly expand the girth!

-I found a "furniture foot" at my parent's house. This is a little cylinder plastic or cork thing that fits over the feet of, say, a chair or nightstand.

-I securely jammed the cork 'foot' into the neck hole

-drilled a small screw down through the cork foot. The screw head now is your new neck peg.

-Carefully fit the old ML2 head onto the screw head. Luckily I chose the right screw size. The screw head just clicked into Ben's brain.

-Rotate, rotate, rotate. The head turns and descends with the screw, through the cork, to the level seen in the pic. It can move side to side, and screw off again.

-Apply apoxie and paint over the exposed cork to approximate the Thing's skin

Voila!

Bring me all the bacon and eggs you have...
PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 1:47 pm
Never thought I'd say this...

I really like looking at your Thing Dorm, it's very
nice!
AJ Research Dept
PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 2:52 am
Sweet. I was told my Wong is something to see too. But enough about me. You have perdy eyes. :)
PreviousNext

Return to Customs!