Some of my drawin'...

Wallpapers, Drawings, Costumes... all in here!

Bring me all the bacon and eggs you have...
PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 10:38 pm
I love this kinda stuff. The process steps/behind the scenes stuff. Keep it coming!

Darth... get on it man!

Unarticulated
PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 11:33 pm
Darth Board wrote:Really nice work, Arrow.

Having a legit pro around here is making me feel like it's time to get off my butt and do some new stuff.

I'm incredibly UNproductive when I'm not working on paying stuff--which is a perennial problem of mine.

Shhh, but I originally intended the above pages to be just a 2-3 week job for myself......I took 9 months.....to do THREE pages. :shock:
I was interrupted throughout by paying gigs and other concerns.
But when I finally found the time and way was clear for me.....well, its just a matter of sitting down and producing stuff.
I like seeing what other people do, because that drives me to create more too.

Here's a follow-up for this project: the original thumbnail sketches for the pages--showing my original intentions for the layouts, and the placement of the captions etc.

You can see how some things changed a bit, and some evolved over time. Originally, I was going to have Joe zipping around in space in just a fancy space-suit ( like a Steranko-design on steroids), but the client wanted Joe to be in a space-SHIP, and with a specific kind of shape to it. That was pretty much the only direction handed out on this, other than the initial outline they gave me. I know that such direction was inconsistent from story to story because I've seen other pages where the ship wasn't designed as such.
But that is what they wanted.
On page three, I had Joe zooming in towards Earth itself, but a re-read of the outline for the story said that he was finding his way home to the Milky Way galaxy, and the next song has him arriving back on Earth. I didn't want to steal the follow-up artist's thunder with that so I changed my image to show the galaxy instead.

These thumbnails were done on regular typing paper 8.5X11--in pencil, then scanned. I pasted them up in Photoshop onto a standard 11X17 comic book page template, adjusted them for size and set to Multiply so I could see the template. I fiddled with the image a bit, warping it, stretching it a bit to see what the results were, but settled with it as it was. The point of this was to get the template there to use as a guide for drawing the final pages, supply the size of the panels.
Now, I have worked kind of half-assed backwards this way--I could have printed out the templates only letter sized sheets and drawn on them, and done away with the need for scanning, but.......but......
..the reason for my method is so that the initial drawing is unrestricted and flows more for me on a blank canvas.
And because I was too lazy to print out the templates. :lol:
Its all about control at every step, scanning the pages in allows that manipulation and adjustment, and allows self-editing on-the-fly--again, all about control.
I do these thumbnails now all in Photoshop, using the Cintiq and I can extend that do doing my tights as well in the machine because drawing on the Cintiq is just like drawing on paper. I still like the physical interaction with working on Bristol though, so that remains my method for the time being.

Also, originally, I was adverse to doing flats for the colours, and wanted a kind of "water-colour" look to the pages, sort of inspired by what Jim Lee has done in the recent past, and ( again) like something "Steranko-ish".

Well, my initial stab at it was..........shall we say..........horrific.
I mean just awful.

I don't do much colour work to begin with--because TV animation storyboards just are not done in colour ( not enough time)--so my colour-sense is pretty meh.
I had a couple of colleagues set me right, and the end colour results are serviceable, and I can live with that.

The thing is that this has lit the fire in me again, and if sharing these images does the same for you, then that's wonderful.
Get lines down on the page, don't worry about good or bad--you can sort things out as you go. I look forward to whatever you can share!
Last edited by ARROW on Sun Oct 07, 2012 2:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
On a Bizarre Adventure
PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 1:21 pm
i hope you don't mind brother but this came to mind instantly
free picture hosting

Unarticulated
PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 1:37 pm
Franky4Fingers wrote:i hope you don't mind brother but this came to mind instantly
free picture hosting

I don't mind! 8-)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 8:42 pm
I'm glad that it's not just me who takes a long time to accomplish what I originally thought would be so simple. I'm the same way with drawing, or sculpting (yes Heli, I do still sculpt from time to time).

The shiflett brothers are the same way. Takes them months to finish something... it's the fine-tuning those minute irritants that seem to take up the most time.

Snarky!
PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 8:53 pm
JasonNC wrote:(yes Heli, I do still sculpt from time to time)

Pics or it didn't happen.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 8:58 pm
Gauntlet, THROWN!
Chief Commander of the Skrull Horde
PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 11:09 am
this stuff is excellent Arrow! really nice work!

Unarticulated
PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 2:38 pm
Here's another "recent" item--a panel from a animated special's "beat board".

Beat boards are intended to be a smaller pared-down storyboard, with far few panels ( no posing or camera moved called out) and focusing on just key scenes or moments in the screenplay. The aim is to give networks/backers/investors a visual feel for the project without all the work in a full-fledged storyboard. Beat boards, are often very illustrative, often painted to convey ambience and mood.
The panel shown isn't a key moment, but is just a example of a character bit with in the story.
This is for a Canadian animated projects called "The Sideshow Halloween", a sequel of sorts to "The Sideshow Christmas". If it gets funding, when green-lit, it'll go into production this fall for airing in Fall 2013.
This is also an example of the kind of varied work and styles called for in the work that I do. The jobs will jump from realistic, to cute, to zany, to very stylized.

These were NOT drawn on the Cintiq, as it was out of service during this job. I drew these on regular 8.5 X11 sheets of paper in pencil, scanned and then cleaned up a tiny bit in the computer.

Unarticulated
PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 12:56 pm
A local comic shop is starting up a in-house magazine devoted to comics, and they made an open call for submissions. Here's my contribution:
PreviousNext

Return to You made that?