Iron Fist

Movies, Comics, TV, Games...it's all in here!
Woah! Double lightsaber! Double lightsaber all the way!
PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 4:18 pm
As much as I know Heli hates Looper, I think this article by them does a pretty good job of summing up IRON FIST's problems (although I think the hubbub over supposed "whitewashing" is silly: Danny Rand has always been white; one may argue he was conceived as a "white savior" character, but that's more about the character's inception in the comics, not the adaptation). I especially think their points about the lack of humor and poor casting in Finn Jones are very on-the-mark:

http://www.looper.com/50803/went-wrong-iron-fist/

I haven't quite finished the series (I have three episodes left) so I'm hoping for the strong ending b0b is hinting at, but at this point, it can't quite redeem the whole production.

(And I think the spoiler above would be less of a deal if the whole show weren't so humorless in general.)

Snarky!
PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 7:35 am
I don't hate Looper in its entirety; I think that's actually the first article of theirs that I've read. I just think their Youtube videos uniformly suck.

Anyway, this article certainly didn't convince me to check out Iron Fist.
Chief Commander of the Skrull Horde
PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 2:28 pm
I fully reject the white savior inception premise. The world was kung fu crazed in the 1970s. Danny Rand was simply a character that looked like the majority of readers of comics in the 70s so as to give them a vessel to identify with this crazy kung fu kick.

Danny Rand's motivation revolves completely around the death of his parents. Which is only a good motivation for rich Bruce Wayne, and rich Iron Man... just not rich Danny Rand. The only issue I had was showing us that motivation a little later than maybe they should have.

Finn Jones wasn't vintage oscar caliber (I say vintage, because now its just a golden sjw award) but his performance was more than fine.

Emergency Awesome's Charlie did a much better analysis imo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ho_Y2cXQOnU
PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 3:46 pm
Having now seen all of the series, I stand by my earlier impressions of it. It was okay, but it was far from great. And I disagree that he was fully-formed as Iron Fist at the end. He still didn't seem like the comics version of Danny Rand to me, and I just wasn't impressed by the ending overall. It felt a little rushed (which was a shame after such a slow-burn series) and left very little of an impression afterward. I can't even remember if a certain important character lived or died at the end; I had that little interest.

I saw over at CBR where an article (which I admittedly have not read yet) made the case that Iron Fist should have been "Heroes for Hire," and I cannot help but agree with that notion. And there was so little going on here that they easily could have brought Luke back into it and ended with the two of them going into business.

And not to totally rain on b0b's parade (but hey, why stop now, right?), but I just cannot watch Emergency Awesome much. He's one of those Youtube guys who just needs someone else to edit his stuff, and I really don't get the appeal. He just doesn't come off very well-informed. Looper's videos are too trendy and polished (with obvious voiceover talent acting like they know what they're reading that was written for them by an entertainment journalist); EA's on the other end, way too serious about the topic at hand and not nearly professional enough. He seems like a nice guy, but his awkward overanalytical fanboy-ness is a little too much for me, and I usually come away feeling like, "Well, I appreciate your enthusiasm for this topic, but I really get the sense that you're just making it up as you go along and don't quite know what you're talking about."
PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 7:42 pm
Darth Board wrote:"Well, I appreciate your enthusiasm for this topic, but I really get the sense that you're just making it up as you go along and don't quite know what you're talking about."

you're talking about subjective opinion on comic book subject matter. This isn't a youtube channel dedicated to theology and the meaning of life. He's as informed as any other comic book nerd, no different than the discussion happening on these very forums. At the end of the day, I liked it. you didn't. and that's ok. I'm sorry you didn't like it. Maybe Defenders will be better for ya DB. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Snarky!
PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 11:42 am
I still haven't watched it, but I also haven't watched anybody's video about it.

Therefore, I am clearly the expert. My expert opinion is that you should watch Big Trouble in Little China.

I'm glad I could clear that up.
PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 3:28 pm
Heli wrote:I still haven't watched it, but I also haven't watched anybody's video about it.

Therefore, I am clearly the expert. My expert opinion is that you should watch Big Trouble in Little China.

I'm glad I could clear that up.

There is no sound rebuttal for such a strong argument.
PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 10:01 pm
Oh yeah, it's fine that you like IF, b0b. It's just a TV show. I did not mean to imply there was something wrong with disagreeing over it. And honestly I liked it, just not a lot.

As for EA, I totally get that he's just a fan talking about stuff. That's fine, but it doesn't make me want to watch his YouTube channel. I watched most of the IF video, and it wasn't terrible. I just don't find his stuff to be terribly insightful. The whole awkward "I'm not an expert, but here are my thoughts," thing is just not a style I enjoy in YouTube channels (unless the personality of the presenter is dynamic and entertaining enough that they can get away with it) but clearly plenty of people do, so what do I know?

But seriously, enjoy what you enjoy. I'm not sorry I watched Iron Fist, and I am glad you enjoyed it. I did too, but I definitely felt like it didn't quite "hit the mark."
PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 9:07 am
Darth Board wrote:Oh yeah, it's fine that you like IF, b0b. It's just a TV show. I did not mean to imply there was something wrong with disagreeing over it. And honestly I liked it, just not a lot.

As for EA, I totally get that he's just a fan talking about stuff. That's fine, but it doesn't make me want to watch his YouTube channel. I watched most of the IF video, and it wasn't terrible. I just don't find his stuff to be terribly insightful. The whole awkward "I'm not an expert, but here are my thoughts," thing is just not a style I enjoy in YouTube channels (unless the personality of the presenter is dynamic and entertaining enough that they can get away with it) but clearly plenty of people do, so what do I know?

But seriously, enjoy what you enjoy. I'm not sorry I watched Iron Fist, and I am glad you enjoyed it. I did too, but I definitely felt like it didn't quite "hit the mark."

its hard to hit the mark when DD set the bar so high. ;) But yeah, I think there was some things that need to be...... Iron'ed out... ;) and I think they will be in Defenders and IF2.

As for EA, he was one of the original sources I found on youtube for comic movie/tv show news, so Ive been watching for sometime now. Maybe I glaze over flaws the way you do after you've been with someone a long time. I also always feel like the IGN style guys come off as pretentious jerks who know less than they think they do, which is sad since they have budget and resources and still come up short. :P Their one benefit imo is slick production value.

Snarky!
PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 10:16 am
I wasn't particularly impressed with Emergency Awesome, but I also don't like IGN. So you're both wrong.

And don't even get me started on Nerdist. My Chris Hardwick tolerance is very low.
PreviousNext

Return to Multimedia