Iron Fist

Movies, Comics, TV, Games...it's all in here!
Chief Commander of the Skrull Horde
PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 12:49 pm
So I'm 5 episodes in, and the critics are making sour grapes for the sake of being contrarian, and/or frivolous social justice causes founded in nonsense. The show is solid and I'm really enjoying it.

Snarky!
PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 2:46 pm
I'm planning to take a look at Iron Fist, but I haven't watched any yet.

Daredevil and Jessica Jones really killed my enthusiasm.
PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 10:07 am
Heli wrote:I'm planning to take a look at Iron Fist, but I haven't watched any yet.

Daredevil and Jessica Jones really killed my enthusiasm.

You might actually like Iron Fist, it's certainly more upbeat than Daredevil and Jessica Jones.
Woah! Double lightsaber! Double lightsaber all the way!
PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 10:31 am
It is brighter, but I would go with LUKE CAGE if you want a show that's a tad more upbeat, particularly since I know Heli didn't like Charlie Cox as Matt Murdock. If you didn't like his performance, you are probably not going to like Finn Jones as Danny Rand. He's my biggest problem with the series. He comes off as a bit whiny and damaged, which is not at all what I think of for Iron Fist.

Also, the show is, frankly, kind of boring. I'm still watching it, but 4 episodes in, it hasn't grabbed me like the other 4 seasons of Marvel/Netflix shows have. Each one of them I had binged-watched in their entirety by this point after launch, and while LoZ: BotW is taking up a fair amount of my entertainment time right now, it's still telling that I haven't been in a hurry to finish this one like I was the others. It just isn't as interesting.

Snarky!
PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 1:40 pm
Yeah, Luke Cage just kind of came and went for me.

I keep thinking I'll give Daredevil another try, but I wind up watching The Great British Baking Show instead.
PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 12:09 am
I would say CAGE is probably the best of them so far for me. It had so much style, incredible music, and the cast was amazing. The first season of DD was really good, JESSICA JONES was great, especially later on, but it doesn't seem to have had the impact the other series have, and season 2 of DD was a mixed bag that ultimately turned out well. I loved Bernhal's Punisher, but Elektra was not as interesting, and since the season was mostly split between their stories, it came out a bit unbalanced. As of now, I'd say the big threat for THE DEFENDERS seems obvious, but as IRON FIST plays out, that may change. I'm 9 episodes in now, and it's not bad, but it feels much more like a typical network drama and nowhere near as stylish or interesting as the others.

Snarky!
PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 12:05 pm
Maybe I'll give Cage a look sometime. I feel like I should like these shows, but neither of the ones I've watched really did much for me. I suppose I'm not a Real Fan (TM).
PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 1:00 pm
I rate them as follows:

Daredevil
Luke Cage
Daredevil 2
Iron Fist
Jessica Jones

I've enjoyed them all, they were all their own thing. Finn Jones' Iron Fist is raw, green and still struggling with the loss of his parents which is inhibiting his chi and hampering his fighting. By the end you see a renewed Danny, who I feel will be the Danny we know in the comics come Defenders and IF2. The only real issue I had with the show was they spent more time than they needed on the Meachums. Cox wasn't my first choice for DD, but I've come to enjoy him quite a bit. Jessica Jones only redeeming quality was a superior performance by The Doctor. Otherwise, it was a boring character study in alcoholism. Meh.
PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 2:20 pm
I probably wouldn't have liked JESSICA JONES as much if it had come after LUKE CAGE, but it had a lot going for it, Luke, Trish/Patty, Nu--uh, sorry that one's a spoiler, and of course, Tennant as Kilgrave. And I would definitely say it's a better show than IRON FIST. IF suffers from a severe lack of style. All the other shows have had amazing production and cinematography, but it's just typical TV drama stuff. It's like they ran out of money or they wanted to save some for DEFENDERS. The characters are compelling (even Danny, although he is the least compelling of the bunch), but it's also pretty boring for a good portion of it.

Speaking of the characters, Jessica Henwick as Colleen Wing is easily the highlight for me. Everyone seems to point to her as the breakout, and I think she's destined for stardom. I kept thinking I knew her from somewhere, and a quick trip to IMDb revealed she was the female X-Wing pilot from THE FORCE AWAKENS! So she might even be at Star Wars Celebration, and I might get to meet her!

She hasn't been announced for it yet, but since she is clearly destined to be my wife, I'm hopeful she'll turn up. (Oh, did I mention I find her incredibly attractive? Because I really do.)
PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 3:48 pm
its a valid argument that Jessica Jones was a better produced show, but so is something like Scandal or How to Get Away with Murder. It doesn't mean I'm going to like it more. I like superhero shows, Jessica Jones is anything but. Meh, to each their own of course. Colleen Wing was definitely the break out star of the show for sure.

[spoilers]

Faramir kinda played it way to hammy, though maybe that was the goal of the billionaire once dead guy who's been living in solitude for 13 years. ;)

[end spoilers]
Next

Return to Multimedia