Nintendo Switch revealed: launching March 3, 2017!

Movies, Comics, TV, Games...it's all in here!
Woah! Double lightsaber! Double lightsaber all the way!
PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 9:27 am
So the console that was--up until a few minutes ago--codenamed NX has been revealed, and it looks incredibly fun! I think Nintendo has totally recovered from the Wii U debacle with this bad boy, which was revealed about half an hour ago in a trailer featuring Zelda: Breath of the Wild, Skyrim (!), and A BRAND NEW 3-D MARIO (!!!!!!!!!!!!!) which you can check out here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3c6MWsEE884

Coming March of next year! I've already got the new Zelda pre-ordered for Wii U, but after seeing this, I may just pick it up with a brand new Switch!

(And yes, the name sounds silly out of context, but when you see the video, it fits perfectly! I think Nintendo is back as a contender for real!)
Last edited by Darth Board on Fri Jan 13, 2017 11:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

Snarky!
PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 11:02 am
I'm amused by the comment that the headphone jack is the real innovation.

Looks pretty neat. Honestly, though, I barely use my Wii U. I think I'll wait a while and see how things go with the Switch. I'm sure my kids will want it on day 1, but they also want everything on day 1.

The combination console/handheld thing is an interesting idea, but I don't know that it's something I really need, either. I rarely have situations where I wish I could carry a game around with me, and when I do, I have a DS. Again, my kids would probably like that, but we've also already got tablets and they've got DSes, so I don't know that it would be doing anything for us that we didn't already have.

So, in short, looks neat, but I'm not on the hype train.
PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 11:16 am
The thing I really like about the portable aspect is being able to play two-player with a single console using the two controller sides (called "Joy-Cons" because... Japan) as individual controllers with the "tablet" propped up on its built-in kickstand. And then being able to add two more players for every additional console for local multiplayer. That and the fact that you can just grab your console game and take it with you in a snap?

The thing is we've had rumors about the system that were basically exactly on point for a couple months now, but actually seeing it action (particularly with A NEW 3-D MARIO GAME IN HD!!!!) is what made me a believer.

Well that and this...

Oh, and Gamexplain slowed down the Mario footage to offer a good look at the two new courses shown:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rM_HhuvmXbc

Snarky!
PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 1:29 pm
What? HAMSTER? PRE-ORDERED!

I'll probably find out now that Hamster is some kind of legendary game studio.

Mainly, though, it's good to see that they've decided to actually work with other companies again.
Chief Commander of the Skrull Horde
PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 8:30 am
I have every American Nintendo system since the Game and Watch... Wii U is still my second favorite console of all time. I'm looking forward to the NX (i think Switch is kind of a hokey name, im stickin with NX) and I'm glad they put their name back into the name of the console.

The list of partners is impressive, but the list of partners for the Wii U was pretty strong as well, right up until they all pulled out in the first year, but I have high hope they'll stick around.

My hope is that the Wii Pad and the Wiimote will have connectivity to the NX. Mainly because playing Splatoon on a pro-control doesn't make sense to me and I don't want to have to buy a new controller to play Splatoon 2. Also, I have a ton of periferals that connect to the Wiimote (Hori Battle Pads, snes controller adaptors, the classic NES controller when it comes out) and I'd like to use them all on the NX.

All in all, I think it has a lot of promise and I am looking forward to it. :)
PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 10:20 am
Many people have pointed out how the list of developers for Wii U seemed similarly impressive until after the launch, but I see five major differences between this reveal and the Wii U with regard to third party support:

1) While some developers were talking about how they were excited to develop for Wii U, others were saying (sometimes secretively, sometimes openly) that the Wii U was difficult to develop for or even that they had no interest in developing for it (EA was most infamous in this regard). By contrast, the comments by developers on the NX/Switch seem to have all been very positive so far.

2) The Wii U was about as powerful as last gen hardware but came out only a year before the other current gen products, meaning within a year it was way behind power-wise. Now, it looks like the Switch will not be as powerful as the PS4 Neo or the XBox One Scorpio, but most reports seem to put its power at about on par with the original XBox One and thus almost as powerful as the original PS4. Both Sony and Microsoft have promised that, despite the more powerful versions of their hardware coming out, gamers would not need the more advanced versions to play any games (although things like VR may work a lot better on the newer versions). So if the Switch is in the ballpark of the original versions of the PS4 and XB1, that means it should be able to handle most any game either of them can handle, meaning there should be no technological reason for 3rd party games for the other two systems not to also be ported to the Switch.

3) It has been confirmed by NC's own Epic Games that the Switch will support their Unreal 4, the most popular game engine for current gen games. The Unreal engine has long been the gaming standard, and the fourth iteration is the one currently in use for many PS4 and XB1 titles.

4) Bethesda helped with the release trailer for Switch by letting them use Skyrim. They have since pointed out that no games by them are confirmed at this time for the Switch--as has 2K, who had one of their NBA 2K games in the trailer as well. BUT the statements about no games being confirmed from both publishers were practically identical (but for two words), meaning Nintendo (who has wanted to hold off on info as long as possible) probably asked them to clarify this, rather than either publisher trying to sound reluctant on the system. Either way, the big takeaway here is that no Bethesda game has EVER been on a Nintendo system so far, so even in the unlikely event that the remastered version of Skyrim does not actually appear on Switch, Bethesda is developing for Switch, and that's never happened before. In fact, it could be that the reason for being quiet on confirmation is that the Switch version is something more than the remastered versions that are hitting PS4 and XB1 this week. Or it could be that what the Switch is getting is a bundle of Elder Scrolls games, not just the fifth one. Or maybe even (dare I hope) [i]Elder Scrolls[/] 6?!?!!!

5) Third party support has been pretty good for the 3DS, and since the Switch looks like it's going to be replacing both the 3DS and the Wii U, any developer that wants to develop for Nintendo's handheld will also simultaneously be developing for the home console. This also basically means that the PS Vita, which was already pretty much dead, will receive its final coffin nails with the Switch's release, since its whole draw was game experiences close to the home console on-the-go. Now, Nintendo (who has owned the handheld market ever since they created it with the Game & Watch) will be able to deliver EXACTLY the same experience as the home console on-the-go AND offer handheld games that are on the home console (Pokemon, anyone?), a total win-win if ever there was one.

So yeah, I think there's plenty of reasons to believe the third party support will be better this go 'round. Will the Switch be the next Wii sales-wise? Probably not. The Wii was pretty much an anomaly, but there is definitely way more excitement for the Switch than there was for the Wii U when it was announced (not to mention a none of the confusion over whether or not the new system is just an add-on for the old one, like the Wii U), so I am definitely optimistic.
PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 11:29 am
I watched the reveal event live late last night. It's a mixed bag, but I'm definitely looking forward to the Switch still. It launches March 3 (less than two months!) with Zelda: Breath of the Wild (which got another, even more amazing trailer) in tow, but some of the other games are really interesting. As expected, Skyrim will finally be playable on-the-go, as Bethesda and Nintendo team up for the first time ever. A series of clips showed a bunch of unannounced games, including Sonic.

Most surprising part of the reveal? Nintendo is once again embracing motion controls and casual, in-living-room multiplayer. The new 1, 2, Switch and Arms are every bit as innovative (and fun-looking) as Wii Sports was. The $299 price tag is a little higher than many were hoping but still in the under-$300 sweet spot. And Mario! Oh man, Super Mario Odyssey is so awesomely weird-looking! It's set to launch this holiday season! More on it and a new version of Mario Kart 8 here:

http://www.gmanetwork.com/news/story/59 ... ndo-switch
PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 1:16 pm
My biggest take aways:

1. Splatoon 2! (tho I dont like the map on the TV change) LAN support!
2. Mario in the city is just weird.
3. The Atlus games look amazing
4. Mario Kart 8 Deluxe has proper battle maps, not just reused tracks. That alone is enough for me to buy the game, I always preferred battling over racing anyway.
5. The Breath of the Wild trailer was epic. Watching it though, it really feels like Book of Eli-Link, or I am Legend-Link. It's thousands and thousands of miles of.... just Link. Who is he saving? :P
6. This will probably be the first launch weekend console for me since the Nintendo 64.
PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 3:18 pm
b0bb33z3r wrote:5. The Breath of the Wild trailer was epic. Watching it though, it really feels like Book of Eli-Link, or I am Legend-Link. It's thousands and thousands of miles of.... just Link. Who is he saving? :P

What? Zelda was in that trailer A LOT.

Also, we already know there will be a bunch of NPCs; it's just apparently most of them are in villages and the "horse outposts" we've seen dotting the landscape.
PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 9:27 am
Darth Board wrote:
b0bb33z3r wrote:5. The Breath of the Wild trailer was epic. Watching it though, it really feels like Book of Eli-Link, or I am Legend-Link. It's thousands and thousands of miles of.... just Link. Who is he saving? :P

What? Zelda was in that trailer A LOT.

Also, we already know there will be a bunch of NPCs; it's just apparently most of them are in villages and the "horse outposts" we've seen dotting the landscape.

"who is he saving" meaning the kingdom of hyrule.... there's no one in it, or barely anyone in it.

and honestly, the new modern Zelda doesn't look like she is the one who needs saving, shes a warrior princess who saves herself now.
Next

Return to Multimedia