SPIDER-MAN: HOMECOMING--set pics of Spidey!

Movies, Comics, TV, Games...it's all in here!

Snarky!
PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 3:01 pm
Yeah, it's goofy, but whatever.

I can't wait to see which Latino male gets cast as Carol Danvers.
Woah! Double lightsaber! Double lightsaber all the way!
PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 4:42 pm
Actually that one went to Brie Larson.

Oscar-winning "It" girl beats diversity, apparently.

Snarky!
PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 7:18 am
Apparently, she was on a few episodes of Community, so I'll let it slide.
PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 11:00 am
Yep, she was Abed's most frequent girlfriend. She's a very talented actress who seems to be able to "melt" into whatever role is required of her. I just wonder if she shows up in Infinity War if the the Russos will count that as their obligatory Community cameo (hopefully not; I'm hoping the cameo has her first name as a last name...). Of course, Donald Glover is in Spider-Man: Homecoming, so that brings us back to the actual topic at hand.

(Brie Larson is also one of the leads in Kong: Skull Island, FWIW.)
PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 12:14 pm
Back to the issue b0b brought up though: I've been thinking about this, and I have to ask, does changing a character's race, sex, or orientation for an adaptation or reboot seem to bother anyone more when it's a main character than a side character? And which change is more problematic: race, gender, or sexual orientation?

For me, changing a character's race usually doesn't bother me. It did when they changed Johnny Storm in Fant4stic, but that was because it changed his and Sue's relationship. I would have preferred they change both or their race or neither (and honestly, changing Reed's race seems like it would have been a lot bolder/more positive). I was never bothered by Michael Clarke Duncan playing Kingpin, because the casting seemed brilliant. And I couldn't care less which version of Nick Fury is in the MCU, just so long as it's not David Hasselhoff.

Whether changing a character's gender bothers me usually does depend on the character's role and prominence, and notably, this hasn't happened a lot. That lawyer from Jessica Jones that Carrie-Anne Moss played is the only one that leaps to mind (outside of Battlestar Galactica). She got a gender swap and a...uh..."re"-orientation as a lesbian version of a little-known male character from the Power Man and Iron Fist comics. Orientation changes make me roll my eyes, but that's about it (most recently that I know of, Iceman was outed as gay in the comics, after the young version of Jean Grey--being a telepath and all--confronted the young version of Bobby about it, and he confronted the adult version of Bobby, revealing the longtime X-Man's closeted status).

What do you guys think?

Snarky!
PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 10:07 am
Obviously, changing a main character is pretty much always going to cause more controversy than changing a supporting character (unless the supporting character is deeply beloved, I guess). I'd like the changes they make to actually make sense; using your example, it would have made much more sense to handle the race change in Fant4stic differently, and it bugged me just like you that it changed the relationship between Johnny and Sue.

I think that writers over the years have done so much work making "mutant" = "gay" that it's hardly worth mentioning when they "shockingly" make that change anymore.

Honestly, my problem with it is that there never seems to be any reason to make these changes other than "diversity". I don't see why this isn't regarded in the same way as tokenism, because that's what it is. FF is all white? We need a token minority! The supporting cast is all male? Make one of them a woman!

Comics used to be written for a primarily white male audience, so they had a lot of white males. Now, the audience is at least theoretically more diverse, so they're changing that, and that's cool. But why not make more movies about the non white male characters, rather than changing white male characters to fit a diversity worldview? I wouldn't want them to make Black Panther a woman or hispanic, or even white, because it would be dumb.

I don't know. Ultimately, I think it's dumb and pandering, but if the actor brings a good enough performance, I don't care, because I just want to see a good movie.
Chief Commander of the Skrull Horde
PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2016 10:11 am
Darth Board wrote:http://www.imdb.com/name/nm2254074/mediaviewer/rm3418009856

this only makes it that much worse.

what pisses me off was Sony pissed away 16 years and 5 films, miscasting Mary Jane and fighting Marvel tooth and nail. I'm sure "weve seen red head mary jane enough in the films" was a high talking point in the board rooms.

bleh, just when I think I'll finally get the picture perfect representation of the comic book I loved growing up with (and invested thousands of dollars in), the carpet is pulled out from under me.
AJ Research Dept
PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2016 2:58 pm
I'm not only a snooty comic fan who happens to like original source material, but really I've had it with the tokenism and PC crap too.

Marvel and DC did something smart in the 1960s and 1970s and onward. Instead of totally rewriting characters to bow down before some hotly debated domestic politics, they made NEW characters to add to the mix. That's real inclusion and innovation. They actually put some thought and investment in new ideas. This was freaking great. Marvel gave us Black Panther and Luke Cage! We got Shang-Chi, Storm, Falcon, Photon, Cloak, Forge, Bishop, Blade, Sunfire, Silver Samurai, Mandarin, Jubilee, Mantis, etc. I'm not as familiar with DC but I know they at least brought us Black Lightning, John Stewart, Cyborg, Amanda Waller, Vixen, etc.

What's cool is that these characters may have started as an experiment to please a market and/or ideology, but they ended up being good characters in their own right. They were liked not because of their skin colour. They were liked in a more genuine way -- for being good characters in good stories.

That was the original way forward; not completely rewriting an old character according to racial ideology. The Fantastic Four is all-white (actually spending half the time fiery red, rocky brown, and airy invisible). People should respect that. It's not a crime to be white. Sorry, bro. Sue Storm is not oppressing anyone. The audience should accept it in the same way Black Panther, Luke Cage, and Storm are a shade of brown. We like them that way. They are cool that way. They are just as unique and interesting as the F4.

If Hollywood and comic companies want to depict more superheroes of non-white background, and I hope they do, then they better put in some freakin effort to make and brand them. Not some lazy repaint job, cannibalizing from old brand.

/rant off
Chief Commander of the Skrull Horde
PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 9:13 am
Dorm wrote:tokenism

and thats exactly what this is.

Snarky!
PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 8:34 am
The trailer, tho!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n9DwoQ7HWvI

That is some Spider-Man looking stuff, right there. I'm amused that they've given him a random buddy. Peter Parker with a best friend (who isn't female, anyway) seems like a strange idea.
PreviousNext

Return to Multimedia