Power Rangers 2017

Movies, Comics, TV, Games...it's all in here!
Snarky!
PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2016 8:06 am
So, some toys have been shown, and that T-Rex is quite the weird one.

http://news.tokunation.com/2016/10/28/2 ... -con-37278

The toy sword looks all right. I suspect that it's designed kind of like a fencing foil, and the big bell part at the bottom will be cut out on the other side to act as a large "basket" style hand guard.
Woah! Double lightsaber! Double lightsaber all the way!
PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2016 4:56 pm
Based on the Red Ranger sword (compared to its reveal from the film), it's safe to say the T-Rex is not a very good representation of the actual Zord in the movie.

But it is definitely a different aesthetic from the TV show.
Snarky!
PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2016 12:11 pm
Megazord.

Ugh.

http://news.tokunation.com/2016/11/04/i ... aled-37433
Chief Commander of the Skrull Horde
PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2016 9:40 am

wow, that is horrific. I really had hopes for the movie, but it all hinged on Megazord... fail.
PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2016 10:11 am
BWA-HAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHA!

Oh man, I can't even--

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!

That thing is awful! It looks more like a mis-colored Goldar than a Megazord!
Snarky!
PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2016 11:06 am
Somebody over on Tokunation posted an idea that I suspect may be true, so I guess spoilers for speculation?

-----------(Speculation Zone)----------------------------------
Megazord is Zordon's body. That's why it looks like a Power Ranger suit, and that's why it's got that big face plate; so his face can appear there. Maybe true, maybe not, but it's an interesting theory. Especially since Rita's movie design suggests (at least to me) an altered Power Rangers suit, with her presumably having been the Green Ranger at some point in the past. Which would be a handy way for her to create the Green Ranger.
-----------(Speculation Zone)----------------------------------

What is sad is that, even if that's the logic behind it, it's still a boring, generic-looking robot design. There is nothing about it that says "Megazord". Or "Power Rangers", for that matter.
Snarky!
PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 8:52 am
Andre has a review:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GgBbRESprGs

Surprising nobody, it's a brick with lights and sound.

He also shows pictures from the back of the box showing the individual zords, and they remain weird looking.
PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2016 10:19 am
I saw Andre's review, and the thing that kept going through my mind was, "They have separate toys for the Zords and the Megazord. Didn't those used to be one toy back in the day: 5 Zords that combined to make a Megazord?"

It's not really fair to call the Megazord "a brick." It is a fully poseable figure (with cockpits for little Power Rangers), but it's not a Megazord toy in any conventional sense, because traditionally the Megazord has always been multiple machines that combine into one robot. Looking at the toy, you can only vaguely see where each Zord would fit into it, and most of it seems to be armor that connects the small parts that are actually made of the Zords (maybe it really is some kind of armor suit for Zordon).

My point is there is likely no physical way the Zords can combine into Megazord. And that right there steals most of the fun from the Megazord IMHO. More than that, it pretty much steals the robot's "soul." It just isn't a good adaptation, because it changes the fundamental reality of the original.

AND it fails my main test of an adapted "costume" design: It is completely unrecognizable as what it is supposed to be. If you saw this toy on a shelf with no markings and had never seen it before (particularly if it did not have the tiny Rangers visible), no amount of familiarity with Power Rangers would make it recognizable. In fact, more familiarity with the original makes it even less recognizable.
Snarky!
PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2016 10:50 am
Apparently, there IS a combining toy, as well. I haven't seen any pictures of it, but I've heard rumblings. I have no idea how it will work, unless the "mastodon" somehow accordions out into the whole body and the rest just drape around it.

The toy fits my definition of a brick. The only articulation (not counting opening cockpits) are shoulders and elbows, and wing flapping. That's G1 Transformer level brickishness.

I do absolutely agree with your final assessment, though. Which you can see if you look at my last line a couple of posts up. It's a generic robot with some colored armor. Honestly, if I saw the Zord toys without any markings, it would be difficult for me to guess that they were meant to be updated Power Rangers designs. They look like the Bay version of the Dinobots, with a little Herculoids thrown in.
PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2016 11:09 am
I thought it had leg articulation too. But I guess not.
Previous

Return to Multimedia