Shin Gojira aka Godzilla Resurgence

Movies, Comics, TV, Games...it's all in here!
Woah! Double lightsaber! Double lightsaber all the way!
PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 8:47 am
I'm going to try to see it this Saturday.

It's getting generally good reviews, but don't expect more monster time than in Gareth Edwards' 2014 outing. Apparently, the human stuff is considerably more compelling in this one, though.

Bring me all the bacon and eggs you have...
PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 6:41 am
I saw it last night, and the only people in the theater were there to see Godzilla. It was a handful of seats short of being sold out. The guy in line for tickets behind me had been to see it all four nights that it had shown.
I thought it was very good, of course not as much Godzilla screen time as I would have hoped. Honestly you see about 60% of Godzilla's screen time in the trailers. Now, what you don't see in the trailers of Godzilla is really, really, good. Godzilla being a destructive force of nature kind of thing. He was almost mindless in this.
Woah! Double lightsaber! Double lightsaber all the way!
PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 11:37 am
I guess I should probably add my thoughts as well:

It was good, not my favorite G-film but quite good. It was definitely the most raw power the big G has ever sported in one of his films, with his atomic ray becoming something that seemed almost beyond even his control. And even if it was more focused on the governmental response to his emergence, it was still quite compelling and rather funny (the bit about how Godzilla/Gojira got his name in this version was classic).

The military action was the best we've ever seen in the series, and there was also a strange amount of body horror with the constantly-evolving Godzilla, particularly early on. Godzilla was as creepy and otherworldly as he has ever seen, and they did a reasonable job of explaining how he could possibly come into existence that--while far from totally believable--was surprisingly grounded for a Japanese monster movie. Even his atomic ray is given a necessary and credible reason to exist that makes sense in the context of his frankly incredible biology (the seeming impossibility of which is commented on by members of the cast). It's clear Kano was trying to place Godzilla further into the real world than he ever has been before, either in American or Japanese productions.

Sequels are inevitable (Toho isn't about to end its longest-ever hiatus between G-films just for one outing, especially when they skipped Goji's 60th, opting to allow Gareth Edwards to release his American Godzilla that year instead), and the last shot gives you an idea of how this "real world" setting could soon come to be inhabited by multiple kaiju. But it was nice to have the focus squarely on the big guy for the first time in over 30 years. Despite his limited screen time and lack of individualized personality, he did not disappoint.
Previous

Return to Multimedia