So the Transformers Cinematic Universe is a thing...

Movies, Comics, TV, Games...it's all in here!
Woah! Double lightsaber! Double lightsaber all the way!
PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 3:05 pm
Hasbro confirms they're going forward with a Transformers Cinematic Universe.

*SIGH*

So now, the worst version of the TF franchise is getting expanded to multiple film series? No word on if the G.I. Joe franchise might become part of the TFCU, but a TF/Joe crossover (and the toys it could produce) would be the only upside I could see to it.

I seriously hope this means the whole franchise is getting rebooted. Now that Bay is not directing, maybe that's the plan.

http://spinoff.comicbookresources.com/2 ... -universe/

Snarky!
PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 3:07 pm
Yeah; that's going to be a train wreck.

Akiva Goldsman. Nuff said.
Chief Commander of the Skrull Horde
PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 4:14 pm
TFCU is going to be the train wreck that serves as a warning to all other franchises that want to emulate Marvel. GI Joe could have a very successful GIJCU but TF is going to be a hur de hur. :(

Snarky!
PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 7:07 pm
The sad thing is that IDW has proven that there are all kinds of cool worlds to explore with TF, and good stories to be told. Rather than learning that lesson, I suspect this "cinematic universe" will take the opportunity to do continuity-free carbon copies of the same stories, but with different hot chicks and non-threatening, test audience-approved heroes.

Snarky!
PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 10:50 am
Writers have been hired for "Transformers One", a prequel set on Cybertron.

http://www.tfw2005.com/transformers-new ... ne-182851/

It's the guys you've never heard of from Ant-Man, so, eh... I have very little faith that there will ever be a good live-action Transformers movie, honestly.
PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 11:43 am
So they're looking to make an origin story on Cybertron, right? Okay. I can see that. Of course they'll need to do some serious redesigns, because in the films, the Cybertronian versions of everyone are silver and shades of grey, meaning, yes, it would be even HARDER to tell them apart than in previous films.

But laying that one big problem aside for a moment, here's what I really don't get: They had been talking about doing this as an animated movie, but the mandate from the studio was that it be "live action." But...how? And more to the point, why? The TFs are almost exclusively CG, and mostly the only practical builds are their vehicle modes, because they're just cars. The rare times they've used any full-size models were when they were interacting with humans (the "live action" in the live action films). So it seems to me that an origin movie on Cybertron would basically be animated anyway, right?

Unless of course they were to shoehorn humans into the TFs' origins, but that wouldn't make any sen--

Oh crap. That's what they're going to do, isn't it?

Snarky!
PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 1:46 pm
You said it, not me.

I mean, it's not Transformers without a sexy girl, right? We have to get the bros in the seats, man!
PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 4:20 pm
Well, now HERE'S some out-of-the-box thinking!

http://spinoff.comicbookresources.com/2 ... e-spinoff/

:roll:

Snarky!
PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 7:23 am
The (one) comment on that article brings up a good point; if you're going to make a Bumblebee movie (and, honestly, haven't all the movies so far kinda been Bumblebee movies?), at least give him a real voice.

However, even among the limited options of major Autobots from the live action movies, literally every other Autobot from Age of Extinction was more interesting than Bumblebee. I'd be far more interested in a movie featuring Hound, Drift, or Crosshairs.

Honestly, since they did nothing with the Dinobots in AoE, I'd be interested in seeing a movie starring them.

Basically, anybody other than Optimus Prime or Bumblebee would be a good pick. So I expect that we know the stars of the first two spinoff movies already.

Snarky!
PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2015 9:35 am
According to Forbes (excerpted by TFW), there may be as many as 12 movies being looked at for the TFCU:

http://www.tfw2005.com/transformers-new ... se-182960/

I'm a little heartened to hear that they're planning to dig into existing lore, but given how that worked out for the Allspark and the Matrix, I'm, at best, cautiously optimistic.
Next

Return to Multimedia