GHOSTBUSTERS reboot: First Trailer, p. 4!

Movies, Comics, TV, Games...it's all in here!

Snarky!
PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2016 1:25 pm
Oh, I see what our problem is. We can't handle how the movie DESTROYS the patriarchy.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/life/ente ... /81258406/

And if it tanks at the box office, it will be because of sexism. Way to armor yourselves up early, Sony.
Woah! Double lightsaber! Double lightsaber all the way!
PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2016 2:32 pm
2. Even the ghost is a woman.

Uh...the librarian ghost was a woman in the original.

Oh, but now she's not an old stereotypical spinster-y librarian!

So... that means that so long as she's kind of hot, it's okay that she's a woman?

Got it. Way to stick it to the patriarchy, new Ghostbusters! :lol:

Snarky!
PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2016 2:39 pm
Yeah; I wondered about that point, too.

But don't question it; trying to undermine his theory proves you're part of the patriarchy.
Chief Commander of the Skrull Horde
PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 9:25 am
What's hysterical is that the movie really looks like it's a scene for scene clone of the original... so "empowered women" means doing everything the men did? That doesn't sound very original or empowering.

Snarky!
PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 7:38 am
Update! The tie-in toys are already hitting clearance.

https://heatst.com/entertainment/ghostb ... clearance/

Always a good sign.
Woah! Double lightsaber! Double lightsaber all the way!
PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 11:09 am
The most surprising thing of the last week is that the reviews are actually pretty good (although certainly not great). Some people have been disappointed by it, but the general consensus seems to be pleasant surprise (particularly among those who had written it off). One thing everyone seems to agree on is that it's nowhere near as good as the original, but opinions are mixed on whether it ranks ahead of or behind the 1989 sequel. The other thing they all seem to agree on is that there are way too many nods to the original that take away from the story of the new film (particularly the cameos, which apparently no one enjoyed).

The really weird thing is Kate McKinnon's character seems to be either every reviewer's favorite or least favorite part of the film. Apparently, she's VERY quirky and over-the-top. Some people liked that. Others felt it took them out of the film too much (I've heard her Holtzman character called a "cartoon" by more than one reviewer, with one even going so far as to say that she would have fit in better if she actually were rotoscoped as a cartoon character). The other three actresses and Chris Hemsworth have been largely praised (most notably Leslie Jones). Some people did feel like Hemsworth's Kevin was way too dumb though (him I heard compared to Harry from Dumb and Dumber of all things).

Nobody seems to think much of any of the other characters, although apparently Andy Garcia has at least one good scene as the mayor. The climax is apparently kind of blah, and there's an after credits sequence that hints at a plot point/character from the original film. Multiple sources have said that it is a great 3-D film, and the IMAX version at least uses a novel approach of having a slightly letterboxed screen that allows for the ghosts, proton beams, etc. to actually break out of the boundaries of the screen, thus enhancing the 3-D effect (which is actually something I kind of want to check out, because that sounds really cool, even if the movie sounds pretty mediocre on its own).

For my part, I have a free ticket to see it that I got for ordering the Blu-Rays of the first two films on Amazon, but it isn't enough to cover the IMAX 3-D version. So I'll probably check it out in the weeks to come, but I don't know if I can stomach actually paying money so that I can see the 3-D version.

Snarky!
PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 12:44 pm
Most of the reviews I've read/heard are that it's fine. It's okay. It's not bad.

Which is about what I'd expect from a merchandise-driven cash-in reboot. It's just there.

If it was a reboot of Evolution (you remember; the alien-based Ghostbusters ripoff with David Duchovny), it would be completely forgotten in a week. The only reason anybody cares is because of the name, and the ridiculous politics that have been argued about.

I watched Andre's review today, and, while he had some kind of psychotic break about the internet reaction to the movie, his actual review was that it was fine. Not great, not awful. Fine. Which is about what I was expecting (though I'll admit, I was thinking it would be dumber than it apparently is). Also, he liked Kat McKinnon. I must admit that she seems interesting, based on the trailers. She's the ONLY character that seems interesting based on the trailers, sadly.

His big knock, and I suspect a lot of fans agree, is that they should have set it in the same world as the originals, and had the original actors appear as their characters from the first two movies. I think that would have gone at least a little way to softening fans' reaction.
PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 4:07 pm
bleh, I suspect many of the positive reviews are due to not wanting to face the colossal backlash if you say its not good. Look at AVGN James Rolfe, skewered!

This was the hill the movement chose to die on, and now anyone who dares speak ill will receive swift retribution.

The trailers never moved me, but I suspect it will be a middle of the road, decent film. It will not be the generation spanning classic the first one is. It will have a huge opening weekend, and it will most likely have a sizable dropoff. BvS size? maybe.

Snarky!
PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 8:32 am
Here's Chris Stuckmann's review. In keeping with tradition, he gave it a C. And made an interesting point I hadn't heard (not that I've read a ton of reviews).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a9_lhRqhkBw
PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 9:16 am
So it's not only a girl power movie, but its a men suck movie as well.... ah, equality!
PreviousNext

Return to Multimedia