GHOSTBUSTERS reboot: First Trailer, p. 4!

Movies, Comics, TV, Games...it's all in here!
Woah! Double lightsaber! Double lightsaber all the way!
PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 6:00 pm
So, after months of rumors about an all-female new team of Ghostbusters, the cast has been announced, and I am so not interested in these actresses. Kristen Wiig, Melissa McCarthy, and a couple of current SNL castmembers... There are so many ways that doesn't sound good.

http://spinoff.comicbookresources.com/2 ... rs-reboot/

I just don't know if the power of the Ghostbusters name will even be enough to get me out for this one. A new cast of 'Busters was always going to be risky, an all-female cast even more so, but this?

Honestly, this just sounds like a film that would appeal to no demographic. Who is the intended audience of this film? Fans of the franchise are not likely to be happy with this cast, and fans of these actors are likely not lining up for supernatural action comedies.

I just don't get the logic here.
Last edited by Darth Board on Thu Mar 03, 2016 12:26 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Bring me all the bacon and eggs you have...
PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 10:18 pm
Darth Board wrote:
Honestly, this just sounds like a film that would appeal to no demographic.

That's really bout all that needs to be said. What a bad idea.

Snarky!
PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 8:57 am
Paul Feig wrote:“I love the first one so much I don’t want to do anything to ruin the memory of that,” he revealed in October. “So it just felt like, let’s just restart it because then we can have new dynamics.

I don't want to ruin the memory of the original; I just want to crap all over the series with a lame new entry. It'll be just as iconic as Kingdom of the Crystal Skull!

I want the technology to be even cooler. I want it to be really scary, and I want it to happen in our world today that hasn’t gone through it so it’s like, oh my God what’s going on?”

This sounds like a person who does not understand Ghostbusters at all.

It will take some fantastic reviews and word of mouth to get me to watch this thing. I anticipate a complete train wreck, and the cast does nothing to change that opinion.

Wait; I make one exception. If Melissa McCarthy is the scientific genius instead of the goofy loser that she plays in everything, I'll see it. Ball's in your court, movie.

Snarky!
PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 9:02 am
Somebody posted this in the comments thread. I think it sums up my feelings.

http://i.imgur.com/zxl58Pv.jpg?1?fb
PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 3:52 pm
We've got some tentative character names/details now. As indicated previously, this definitely does not appear to be tied to the previous films but a full-on alternate take reboot. And as for Heli's hope that McCarthy is the scientist and not the goofy loser...sorry. Looks like she's a subway employee who encounters the main ghost (and doubtless is pulled along for the ride). Heck, maybe she'll be possessed:

http://spinoff.comicbookresources.com/2 ... -revealed/

But hey, apparently Peter Dinklage may be their "Q", and they're trying to get Bill Murray as a debunker character (with the other original cast in possible cameos as well). Yeah, I don't know. Still seems pretty pointless.

Snarky!
PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 8:03 am
Point. Less.

Yeah, I posted the goofy loser thing knowing full well that McCarthy would be recycling her standard schtick.

But it's great how different they are. I mean, these characters are clearly not:

Egon
Erin Gabler is an academic on the tenure track at Columbia. Her former colleague and co-author is …

Peter
Abby Bergman, who’s more on the pop parapsychology side of things, and pursues ghosts for a living.

Ray
Jillian is Abby’s ghost-hunting partner.

and Winston
Patty is an MTA employee who comes across the main ghost.

Such a unique vision!

I'm guessing Feig's rebuttal would be "but they have boobs!"
Chief Commander of the Skrull Horde
PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 8:39 am
Heli wrote:
Paul Feig wrote:“I love the first one so much I don’t want to do anything to ruin the memory of that,” he revealed in October. “So it just felt like, let’s just restart it because then we can have new dynamics.

I don't want to ruin the memory of the original; I just want to crap all over the series with a lame new entry. It'll be just as iconic as Kingdom of the Crystal Skull!

I want the technology to be even cooler. I want it to be really scary, and I want it to happen in our world today that hasn’t gone through it so it’s like, oh my God what’s going on?”

This sounds like a person who does not understand Ghostbusters at all.

It will take some fantastic reviews and word of mouth to get me to watch this thing. I anticipate a complete train wreck, and the cast does nothing to change that opinion.

Wait; I make one exception. If Melissa McCarthy is the scientific genius instead of the goofy loser that she plays in everything, I'll see it. Ball's in your court, movie.

doubt it, my money is that Melissa McCarthy plays the "Ray" character, not the Egon character.

Snarky!
PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 9:25 am
Way to get that bet in just after the horses pass the finish line.
PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 10:48 am
Keep up, b0b!

:lol:
Chief Commander of the Skrull Horde
PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 11:58 am
you guys posted while my screen wasn't refreshed! I hadn't seen your posts!

also, I'd switch your Peter and Ray assessments
Next

Return to Multimedia