ROGUE ONE--Spoilers on as of p. 14!

Movies, Comics, TV, Games...it's all in here!
Woah! Double lightsaber! Double lightsaber all the way!
PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2016 11:25 am
Unofficial reviews from the premiere are that it's as good as any Star Wars film; I've heard a few comparisons to TESB, if you can buy that! Collider has a report on it:

http://collider.com/rogue-one-reviews-star-wars/

The official review embargo lifts today at 5pm EST. Apparently the embargo was put in place to keep the film's twists (of which I'm told there are quite a few) secret.

I've got my ticket for Thursday!
PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2016 1:08 pm
It's holding steady on RT at 83%. From what I can glean, the fans seem to like it a little bit better than the non-fans (which, as a fan, I take as a good sign), but most everyone seems to be enjoying it:

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/rogue_ ... wars_story
Snarky!
PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2016 1:23 pm
I hear it's even better than Attack of the Clones!
PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2016 1:43 pm
Sounds like it's better than all the Prequels (and possibly TFA).
Snarky!
PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2016 8:50 am
But it's not as good as Moana:

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/moana_2016

It is apparently just slightly better than Sausage Party, though:

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/sausage_party
PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2016 12:55 pm
IT WAS SO GOOD! Man, what a great Star Wars film! No spoilers here, but here's my review:

This was definitely one for the fans, and I think people that know the franchise well will enjoy more of it than those less familiar, but it was a great movie too, so your average moviegoer is going to have a great time as well. TGFFA seems more fleshed-out than it EVER has before, with so many different planets, creatures, and different kinds of people from all walks of life, probably more than in any other SW film! The characters were great (although there are too many for them all to be totally fleshed-out), and the acting is probably the best of any in the franchise. It's much more of a war film, as expected, but the story of the film is really not what is expected in a lot of ways. The trailers did not reveal this movie's best moments. In fact, many of the trailer moments aren't even in the finished film, and what's there is generally better than what was in the trailers.

The Galactic Civil War (like the Clone Wars) happened largely outside of the context of the films. We see a few major battles in the OT, but they were always there to serve Luke Skywalker's story first and foremost. Rogue One shows more sides of the Rebel Alliance and the Galactic Empire and their conflict than we've seen on film before. We clearly see an Empire with corrupt military leaders jockeying for power but ultimately seeking order in the galaxy facing off against an increasingly desperate Rebellion facing more and more difficult choices just to survive against an already more powerful foe that has just changed the game to a degree that it seems unwinnable (despite the fact that we already know the outcome). And the choices these Rebels make are definitely wartime choices. These guys are not squeaky-clean Jedi. Far from it. The Jedi are gone (as we're reminded on a few occasions), and the sides are a little grayer for these guys than for the defenders of the fallen Republic.

There are so many Easter eggs in this film, it is insane! Frankly, it seemed like some of them should be way over the line, ham-fisted and groan-worthy, but they weren't. Even the really gratuitous ones were welcome. The movie constantly just nudges the line with the fan service without quite crossing into completely winking at the camera. Honestly, this movie shouldn't work, but it does, and it works so well! Edwards and company have gone back into the original Star Wars and filled out the edges of it by showing what happened right before its runtime. It should be another Special Edition, and it is technically a prequel, but in every way those releases got Star Wars wrong, Rogue One gets it right! And I think part of it is how well everyone making this movie clearly knew and loved the original. This is not George Lucas trying to clarify what he thought the fans got wrong about his movie; this is mega-fans geeking out over the film and pulling out their action figures (while customizing some new ones) to play. They know this stuff and to anyone else who knows this stuff, it really shows, and it works phenomenally well.

As for the two main questions everyone wants to know: 1) Is it better than TFA/How does it rank against the other SW movies? Well, that's not a totally fair question. It's a very different movie from the other movies, and even though they both have female leads, both rely heavily on nostalgia, and were made in consecutive years, The Force Awakens and Rogue One are VERY different kinds of films. This is very much a "Dirty Dozen" type war movie set in TGFFA. It has a strong emotional core and a decent arc with its main character, but it's not the "epic hero's journey" exactly, mostly because Jyn Erso is not the next "Chosen One" or anything; she's just someone who happened to be the right person for the job. And while this is clearly her (and the rest of the "Rogues'") story, this is clearly just a piece of a bigger story, which ultimately unfolds in ANH, albeit a rather large, compelling, and heretofore largely unknown one.

2) How is Vader? He's not in it much. His screen time is incredibly small overall (I think that's actually a good thing, since the Saga films revolve around him), but when he's there it is something really special. And he does have a big role to play in that short amount of time. And what fanboy me really loved about Vader is this is the first time in a film we've really seen a few elements about him, elements that have been around in Legends, Rebels (I didn't even mention the show! Several Easter eggs from that too!), and the comics, but this is the first time we've seen them on film. You really get a better since of who he is to the Empire and to the Rebellion. One scene of his was amazing--almost perfect--and I will not say a thing about it, because I don't want to spoil it at all, but I think you'll know what I'm talking about when you see it.

And that's the thing. I've said a lot here, but I haven't said anything. There is so much in this movie, and I am not willing to spoil any of it for you! I kind of wish I could've gone in a little colder (although there was plenty to surprise me here). I've heard some people say the tie-in novel Catalyst is required reading to understand it all, but I haven't read it, and I didn't have any questions.

All I have to say ultimately is, if you like Star Wars at all, GO SEE IT! If you love Star Wars (or if you ever loved Star Wars) DEFINITELY GO SEE IT!!! It really delivered, and if the other "Star Wars Stories" (such as the Han Solo film--can't wait to see Donald Glover as Lando) do half as well, it will be well worth it.
PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2016 12:57 pm
And I didn't even mention how awesome Alan Tudyk was as K2-SO!

He was just hilarious and so well-done!
Snarky!
PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2016 2:04 pm
You said "TGFFA" a couple of times. I don't know that term; what does that mean?
PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2016 4:50 pm
Sorry. It should probably be "the GFFA," meaning, "the galaxy far, far away."
Snarky!
PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2016 6:58 pm
Ah. I assumed it was some kind of "the world of Star Wars" thing, but I didn't come up with that one.
PreviousNext

Return to Multimedia