ROGUE ONE--Spoilers on as of p. 14!

Movies, Comics, TV, Games...it's all in here!
Woah! Double lightsaber! Double lightsaber all the way!
PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 10:04 am
Now that there's actual news on the first of these, I thought the spinoffs should get their own thread, separate from the other thread, which can now focus solely on SW7. So... onto that actual news item!

Godzilla director Gareth Edwards will be directing the first standalone spinoff film in the franchise! It's being written by Gary Whitta, who wrote the Telltale Walking Dead games (as well as films The Book of Eli and After Earth). The film is set to release December 16, 2016 (two days short of a year to the day after Episode VII releases on December 18 of next year).

So it looks like Disney/Lucasfilm is serious about one new Star Wars film every year. No news yet on the film's premise, but early rumors/reports seem to indicate that the spinoff films will focus on individual characters (possibly origin tales of characters) and will not involve the actors or timeline of the sequel film trilogy. Boba Fett, Yoda, and Han Solo have all been rumored as main characters of the first few of them, and a recent rumor cryptically listed "Red Five" (which is of course Luke's call sign from the Battle of Yavin in A New Hope) as an upcoming film as well (possibly an X-Wing/Rebel pilots movie? Or maybe just a fake name for one of the others?). Each one should be released every other year, with each new Saga Episode released on opposite years, at least up until Episode IX in 2019.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/05/22/ ... n-off-film

It's a promising writer/director combo, but I have no idea what movie they'd be making together. Edwards is very much connected to giant monster movies (since that's been the topic of both of his first two films), but he's also very young as a director. I'd say large creatures are good possibility!
Last edited by Darth Board on Wed Jan 04, 2017 9:06 pm, edited 18 times in total.
PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 11:36 am
One interesting note: This pretty much means that the Godzilla sequel will be getting a new director, since that film will be slated for likely either 2016 or 2017, about six months before or after the Star Wars spinoff. IGN's Jim and Eric discuss that little tidbit and what the spinoff could be about in a video here:

http://www.ign.com/videos/2014/05/23/wh ... nversation

Snarky!
PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 1:57 pm
From the writer who crafted the critically-acclaimed masterwork After Earth?!? How could that possibly go wrong?
Chief Commander of the Skrull Horde
PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 10:18 pm
Heli wrote:From the writer who crafted the critically-acclaimed masterwork After Earth?!? How could that possibly go wrong?

that was the first thing I thought. This film is doomed.

Even though, the Walking Dead game was actually acclaimed critically.

Snarky!
PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 6:55 am
If the new Star Wars sequel is a point and click game, I have full confidence.
PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 2:48 pm
You never have full confidence.

Snarky!
PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 10:17 am
Once in a while, I do. I had full confidence in Pacific Rim.

Bring me all the bacon and eggs you have...
PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 6:52 pm
I hear that's getting a sequel too!
PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 12:26 pm
And... Even though another spinoff movie shouldn't be coming out until at least 2018, another standalone director has been announced, Josh Trank, who directed Chronicle previously and is currently gearing up to start shooting the FF reboot.

http://spinoff.comicbookresources.com/2 ... s-spinoff/

This story kind of makes me wonder if Disney has had a change of plans on the films, like maybe scheduling the Saga episodes three years apart with standalones in both of the off years instead of alternating one-for-one. Frankly, that kind of makes more sense to me. That way, the Saga episodes are still something of an event, rather than just "this year's Star Wars movie."
PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 3:59 pm
Rumors abound that the first spinoff film will be a heist movie involving the stealing of the plans for the first Death Star. Various folks are speculating the Boba Fett might be involved (since he's long been rumored to be one of the first subjects of a spinoff film. I am intrigued by the concept of the spinoff films, but I'm not convinced it's going to work. I just fear the market will get flooded with SW material, and it will become unpopular and irrelevant.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/11/24/ ... eist-story
Next

Return to Multimedia