ROGUE ONE--Spoilers on as of p. 14!

Movies, Comics, TV, Games...it's all in here!

Snarky!
PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 12:03 pm
I think what it all comes down to for me is that the build-up to the desperation play wasn't convincing and didn't feel necessary. Everything with Saw Gurrerra could have been cut without making any difference, and then they could've gotten to the infiltration/raid sooner and bulked it out more. The emphasis was in the wrong place.

EU-wise, I'd love to see Republic Commando get some kind of love. Then again, the impression I got was that the author was really irritated about getting cut out of canon, so there might be issues there. Then again, Disney probably owns the whole shebang, so they don't care.
Woah! Double lightsaber! Double lightsaber all the way!
PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 8:28 pm
The word I've heard on Stormtrooper armor is that it was a severe downgrade from the Clonetrooper armor on which it was based (just as the Stormtroopers themselves were both far less capable and far more expendable), so mostly it was for looks by that point, as well as likely to remove any individuality from the troops. Rex has openly commented on how inferior both the Stormtrooper armor and the Stormtroopers themselves are on Rebels, neither of which he is a fan. I have heard that the armor could actually deflect an indirect blaster bolt, but when you're the guy in the bright white armor, what's the likelihood someone's not going to be aiming directly at you?

As for the other spinoffs, Donald Glover being cast as young Lando makes me very excited for the Han Solo film. The character's inclusion has led many to think that one aspect of the film will likely be his loss of the Falcon to Han in that infamous game of Sabbaac.

As for a Republic Commando movie, I wouldn't hold my breath for anything Prequel-era. Disney seems to be steering clear of it for the most part (although they have been okay with including elements that tie both Trilogies together in some cases). The Commandos are certainly canon, thanks to The Clone Wars, so it can happen, but it definitely won't be any time soon.

Speaking of tying the Trilogies together, Ewan McGregor has expressed interest in an Obi-Wan film, and I think could be a great idea. There's no reason to think he might not have ventured off of Tatooine at some point in his long exile (of course there would probably have to be a major reason he would turn away from guarding Luke, even for a little while), or it could be the first SW film set entirely on one planet (but I kinda hope not). Lucasfilm/Disney have been telling a few stories of Obi-Wan in the interim, so a movie may not be so far-fetched.
Woah! Double lightsaber! Double lightsaber all the way!
PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 9:01 pm
Oh, and with all the nods to Rebels, in R1 (Chopper and the Ghost at Yavin IV, the hammerhead Corvettes that the Rebels originally procured on the show, Hera being called out on the speakers by name, etc.), the TV show is repaying the favor with several nods to the film in the second half of Season 3.

We already knew Saw Gerrera was returning on the show, and as the new trailer which debuted yesterday reveals, that's just the start, with far more awesome things to come! If you are not watching this show, it really does seem to get better all the time, and I cannot wait to see the balance of the current season, as we get closer and closer to the movies!

http://comicsalliance.com/star-wars-reb ... rogue-one/
Chief Commander of the Skrull Horde
PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 11:17 pm
Donald Glover as Lando doesn't excite me as all, I feel its poor casting.

Ewan MacGregor Obi-Wan movie has me very excited.

Have it be like My Side of the Mountain, but in the desert. Awesome!
PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 9:16 am
Heli, I know I haven't seen you in 7 years, but you look different these days.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P3gf6qyAHOw

Snarky!
PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 9:53 am
b0bb33z3r wrote:Heli, I know I haven't seen you in 7 years, but you look different these days.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P3gf6qyAHOw

That is a smart and entertaining young woman. I wonder if she's some kind of secret government clone of me. X-88, maybe.

In that video, she mentioned "Bodi" and I had no idea who she was talking about. I sincerely thought they never gave that character a name other than "The Pilot".

She's right about a great many things, but that Suicide Squad thing is right on the money. Man, talk about a movie with tons of wasted potential.

I'm also interested in the Ewan McGregor Obi-Wan movie, but I am at a low point in my faith in the Star Wars tie-in movie program at this point. I want to see them make a movie that I really enjoy before I go wishing for the next one.
PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 12:48 pm
speaking of Suicide Squad...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PMNFaAUs2mo

lol

Snarky!
PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 4:15 pm
I thought about really going into Suicide Squad, but it's like shooting fish in a barrel.

I will say, though, that the recurring hugest problem for me was that they changed the point of the team. In the comics, it was a team they put together to do black ops stuff so they'd have deniability, and could use expendable people. In the movie, it's explicitly stated that they're for if there's an evil Superman. (Which there was; he was named Zod.) For that purpose, literally nobody on the movie version of the team would be of any use at all. Well, one might but SPOILER she escapes and becomes the villain of the movie, which is also stupid.

But, honestly, evil Superman? Let's call a crazy woman with a baseball bat, a guy with boomerangs, a guy who's a really good shot (because bullets work great on Superman), a crocodile, a fire guy (because fire also works great on Superman), and then send in a soldier and another woman with no powers who has a magic sword that is apparently no stronger than a regular sword, which means it'll break if she tries to cut Superman.

SO STUPID.

Suicide Squad sort of tried the heist movie setup I wanted for Rogue One, but did it really badly. So, another fail. UGH, that movie. On the plus side, it got me started re-reading all my old Suicide Squad comics, so there was at least that positive. I'm just going to continue to have my on-screen DCU needs met by The Flash.
Don't forget the popcorn!
PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 7:10 pm
I'm very curious to see where Flash goes the second half of the season. Actually more interested in Arrow this year and I didn't think that'd be possible any more.

Snarky!
PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 8:44 am
Two things:

1. HEY! Good to see you again!

2. Careful with the Flash spoilers. I'm a season behind (just watching on Netflix).
Previous

Return to Multimedia